The Salary Behind the Pom Pom’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s no secret that most women earn less than men doing the same job, while having equal education levels. Even in athletic fields, women who play professionally do not make what they deserve. Since the Super Bowl recently happened, you may have noticed while watching the game all the cheerleaders doing their routines and cheering on their teams. Being able to go on vacations and dance in football games? Sign me up.

Sadly, being an NFL cheerleader does not pay up to the expectations. The average salary per game is $70 to $90 dollars. Each cheer squad brings in about 1 million dollars in additional revenue for their team each year. The cheerleaders are lucky if they bring in over a $1000 salary for an entire season. Of course, they also get paid on their experience level. The elite cheerleaders get paid anywhere from $3000-$3500 per season, while the less experienced cheerleaders only make $1000-$2000.

Yes, being an NFL cheerleader is an experience of a lifetime, but it is definitely not a job you have for your entire life. These girls deserve to get paid better. Factoring in the gym memberships to keep their body in the tip top shape and in the right weight category, as well as the hair/makeup/ and nail upkeeps to be able to stay in tip top shape, they have to spend a lot of money. Beyond this, these girls deserve more for the work they do, because of the long practices they dedicate their time to in order to perfect each routine every Sunday.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!