bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Recap of the Student Nutrition Association’s Event at Young’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

On Friday April 24th, the University of New Hampshire Student Nutrition Association and Young’s Restaurant had a record breaking turn out at their annual dinner for the Haitian Health Foundation hosted by Young’s restaurant in Durham NH.  The event hosted over sixty people including students, faculty, community members and some very special guests from the Haitian Health foundation. 

The Student Nutrition Association is a group of students from the University who share the love of food and nutrition and promote health and wellness in the community.  Our Co- presidents Melanie Ferrari and Joc Lyn  , Vice President Ali Soucy, Secretary Marla Lantos, webmaster Ashley Layton, along with the other members of the SNA were proud of their last successful event before graduating this Spring. The association runs various events during the course of the year but the fundraising dinner for The Haitian Health Foundation is by far the most important and most rewarding.

The Haitian Health Foundation has put in countless hours to create a preventative and curative health care system in Jeremie, the poorest region of Haiti. The foundation has also provided support to over 100 rural mountain villages in the Grand Anse has developed, as well as continues to fully fund a K-8 school called L’Ecole St. Pierre for the children of Jeremie. All of the proceeds from our event go directly to this foundation.

Larry Kane, SHeila Marshall, and Kevin Dugas were the featured speakers, inspiring us all with their remarkable stories about their tireless work in Haiti.  All were equally inspiring and gave a true perspective of how people in countries like Haiti live in poverty and need support from people like us.   They shared the joy they felt from seeing so many people at our dinner there to support Haiti.  The Student Nutrition Association with the help of Young’s restaurant raised over $700 for the Haitian Health foundation and hope to double that amount next year! 

We would like to especially thank Ken Young the owner of Young’s Restaurant in Durham, New Hampshire for all that he does for our dinner every year.  Ken Young and Young’s Restaurant & Coffee Shop were just awarded with the highly acclaimed Green Giant award.  This event could not have happened so flawlessly without the help of Ken and his staff.  With the hard work of our members, the welcoming company of our amazing guests, and the funds raised for the people of Haiti, it was truly a day to remember.  Thank you all for all that donated and took the time to attend!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!