Reasons Why Super Bowl 51 Was the Best Super Bowl Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Super Bowl 51 was a game filled with highs and lows, but in the end the New England Patriot’s win left us all in complete awe. It’s a game that will be remembered forever. Here are some reasons why it goes down in history as the best Super Bowl ever.

The Comeback

No team has ever come back from a deficit of more than 10 to win the Super Bowl, and the Patriots came back from 25 freaking points. At the beginning of the second half most people started to believe the game was over, but then everything changed. It was an unprecedented comeback that shocked the world and will forever be remembered as one of the greatest comebacks in sports history.

Edelman’s catch

Seriously, how did he catch this? Julian Edelman’s big catch during the final minutes was insane and so close to being intercepted or dropped. The catch completely turned the game around and made it even crazier to watch. It will go down in history as one of the best catches of all time.  

5 rings for Brady and Belichick

Watching both Tom Brady and Bill Belichick win their 5th Super Bowl is another reason why this Super Bowl was so great. We got to see history being made in a game that proved they are the real GOATs.  

Getting to see Roger Goodell hand the Lombardi Trophy to Brady

After what the NFL commissioner, Roger Goodell, put Tom Brady through in the past year, getting to see him hand over the Lombardi Trophy was an amazing moment.  Winning the Super Bowl was the best way to get revenge on everything that has happened.  

Lady Gaga’s half time show  

Lady Gaga absolutely slayed the half time show. Starting off by diving from the roof and then performing all of her best jams, made us remember why she is such a super star. Though many people were expecting a guest appearance, she proved she didn’t need any backup and could kill it all on her own.

First overtime Super Bowl ever

Not only was the comeback incredible but the fact that the Pats won in overtime made this victory even greater. It was the first Super Bowl to ever go into overtime and left millions of people across the country on the edge of their seats. The sudden-death style of NFL overtime was absolutely heart-pounding and made the winning touchdown that much more extraordinary as it cemented their victory. 

It made even non-football fans excited

Even if you were only watching the Super Bowl for Lady Gaga and the commercials, you couldn’t help but feel amazed when the Patriots started to make a comeback. They did what seemed to be impossible and even those who weren’t big football fans were shocked

Taught Us Anything Can Happen in a Football Game

Most importantly this game was so great because it showed us that anything can happen in a football game. It’s not over ‘til it’s over. For us New Englanders who were starting to doubt whether the Pats could make a comeback, we learned to never lose faith in Brady and Belichick. Anything is possible with those two.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!