This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

One of the most prominent aspects of college is the inevitable roller coaster of emotions everyone will experience. No matter how many proactive measures you take to try and prevent potential bumps, or how resilient you think you are after you’ve been jerked around a time or two, in college, everyone’s sanity is taken for a test ride from time to time. One minute everything is great. You aced that accounting exam, got coffee with the cute boy from last weekend, and even found $20 in the bottom of your back pack. Life is so good you silently chuckle to yourself while walking to class, reflecting back on all of the little irrelevant things you were so hung up on last week. But then you trip. Your coffee spills all over you and as your phone shatters to the ground so does your sunny mood. Now last week becomes this week and the little things start to resurface. Your presentation went terribly, that boy has randomly stopped responding to your messages, and of course, the parking police sniped you out when you were literally in Subway for five minutes. Awesome. At this stage in your life, the majority of things possess the capability to go from good to bad in the blink of an eye. And just like that, when you thought you finally had it right this time around, your world slowly crumbles at your feet- or so you think. You really needed that A, you were really starting to like that boy, and you really can’t afford to fork over another $50 for a parking ticket. You really are feeling down, but thats really okay.

It’s okay to not be okay

Whether it is something as important as maintaining a positive work performance or a less vital stress like trying to make it to the gym every single morning, no matter what the disappointment may be, it’s okay to let yourself down from time to time. Just as you would never expect your family or friends to fulfill your every want and desire, do not hold yourself to the same unrealistic expectations either. Somedays you might wake up feeling funny, and others aren’t so bad. No matter what the source of your below baseline mood may be, accept it. Feelings are uncontrollable therefore you should never apologize for their presence. Feelings are going to run their course and although you can expedite the recovery process, you cannot prevent their existence. Every now and then your sunny state of mind is going to get slightly cloudy, be okay in the overcast  knowing your silver lining will follow.

Don’t sweat the small stuff

Keep in mind what is truly meaningful to you. In college it is so easy to get caught up in a whirlwind of activities and relationships that getting sidetracked on occasion is almost guaranteed. When you find yourself feeling less than adequate in a given situation, step back and ask yourself if expending energy on the matter at hand is even worth it in the first place. It is in our nature to act impulsively, and to no fault of our own we tend to mesh in with the crowd. The only things truly worth your time and energy are those that will in some way, shape, or form, at some point impact your life. Whether the impact will be seen next week or next decade, if you find the things negatively impacting your life do nothing of the sort, there is nothing else you need to sort out.

Sweat the big stuff

On the flip side, there are times we let ourselves down over important matters. These kinds of circumstances make us feel the lowest of lows. Whether you failed a class or hurt someone you truly care about, not only do you want these situations to be repaired but you actually need them to be. Unfortunately, you can’t turn back the clocks. The damage is done and the aftermath might take some time to blow over. But fortunately, you do recognize what is both meaningful in your life and worth your time. However, what you can do from here is remember the weight these major disappointments held on your shoulders. If fortunate enough to receive a second chance, do all in your power to prevent a similar outcome.

Open mind open outlook

Attempting to pull yourself out of a funk is draining. You don’t always know why and you normally never know how, but you’re feeling down in the dumps and the dumps is never the ideal destination. You can’t always prevent bad things. Even when everything seems great, you might still feel a little down which is when you truly start to think you’re losing your grip. You’re not going off the deep end. When faced with a crumby situation there is always an alternative option, the detour might just take longer than you had initially planned. Be okay with deviating from your original plan just as you should be okay with the bumps and turns you’ll face along the way. Being able to look back on all of the obstacles you have overcome only equips you more for those that lie ahead. But above all, don’t forget that you’re not crazy, you’re just in college.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!