Pros and Cons of Having a Big Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Siblings are a blessing and a curse depending on how you look at it. You are born into a family, and forced to communicate with and love your siblings. Would you be friends if you were not in the same family? Who knows, but living and growing up with them makes you think ABSOLUTELY NOT. It can seem impossible to deal with them at times, but other times they could be the only people you want to be around. As I have grown up and get to see my older sister less and less, I realize how much she means to me. That being said, it is still definitely not all rainbows and butterflies.

CONS

1. She thinks that because you are younger, you are her slave

Growing up my sister would ALWAYS make me do everything for her, no matter what it was. We could both be the same distance from something and she would still make me get up and get it. She would even make me clean her room for her!

2. Always having to share your food with her

If I ever had chocolate, or some other yummy food she would always force me to share with her. The worst part about this, is that she would never share hers with me.

3. Your closet is actually her closet

In the mornings before school, she would rummage through my closet and take whatever she wanted (even if I wanted to wear it that day). If I even stepped foot into her room it was the end of the world and I would get screamed at to leave until my parents would get involved.

4. When there was a chore to do around the house, the younger sister is always the one your parents asked

This one I don’t even get! They would never ever ask my older sister to do anything, because they knew she would just get me to do it anyway.

5. Everyone always compares the two of you

Everyone in the family always thinks she is doing better than I am, just because she is older and more mature. Obviously she is going to be more advanced than I am, because she is older! But everyone always makes it out like she is doing way better than I am. We are always being compared, but she is older so we are at different points in our lives.

PROS

1. Always having someone who understands your crazy family

Everyones families are crazy in their own different ways, but the only person who understands yours is your sister. You guys can always laugh and talk about everything and you have to explain a thing! 

2. You were born with a forced best friend

No matter what the circumstance, your older sister is always your best friend. No matter what happens, or what you may do you always have someone there through it all.

3. They are not afraid to tell you how it is

They are definitely not afraid to hurt your feelings. If you mess up, they will tell you and give it to you straight. If you like the player in school, they will tell you that you are an idiot. If your friend was talking trash about you, they will tell you to drop them. No matter how hard it is to hear, they are there to tell you.

4. Always having someone to get your humor

You may not be funny at all (I know I’m not), but your sister will always laugh when you are laughing. No matter where we are, or what we are doing I can always count on my sister to make me pee my pants laughing.

5. You can both make fun of each other, and nothing is taken to heart

Even though you guys may take it a bit far at times, you can always count on your older sister to laugh about your imperfections and not be mad about it.

6. They give you great advice

They have experienced everything that you will go through, so they are always there to comfort you and tell you what to do, and maybe not make the same mistakes they did.

They get on your nerves for sure, but in the end the pros outweigh it all. I am more greatful for having my older sister than I am about anything else. I don’t know what I would do without my big sis, who is also my best friend.

Khrystian Fawcett. UNH Sophomore, IT major.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!