Outfit Ideas to Help You Survive Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As the Holiday season approaches, one thing can be guaranteed: FOOD (and a lot of it). Classes become less about math equations and essay topics as our minds are taken over by visions of mashed potatoes and gravy. Did you even actually go to your 8 am if you didn’t dream of sweet potato pie during it? Somehow we even manage to forget about all of the questions our family members ask us concerning our imaginary boyfriends and “good grades”. And how come we disregard any sense of portion control? Every year at Thanksgiving, the food baby problem is REAL, soon to be followed by a very uncomfortable food coma while the buttons on our pants are on the verge of popping off. Now that cute shirt you decided to wear feels like a straight jacket you’re about to bust out of. Even so, suggesting to eat less colossal amounts of food is pretty much out of the realm of possibilities at this point. Instead, here are some tips on what to wear to help deal with the impending Thanksgiving day feast (and all it’s consequences).

As much as we wish we could show up wearing sweatpants, there are much better options.

First of all, no skinny jeans. Because who wants to wear anything that has the word “skinny” in the title when you’re about to face a whole plate of stuffing? I think last year I actually unbuttoned the top button of my pants and took a nap on my aunt’s couch…. So instead, go for something a little more comfortable. Leggings and a sweater is a classic look that is both comfy and cute.

(seriously, how comfy does that sweater look?!)

Buttons should just be avoided in general. Button-down shirts look classy, but can be restricting. Instead, opt for a flowy dress, and layer with a cardigan or denim shirt. Rather than pairing them with tights, try knee-high socks and boots.

And of course, you can combine all of these outfit ideas together for the ultimate comfy/cute (and roomy) Thanksgiving outfit!

Happy Turkey Day from UNH Her Campus to you!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!