Opportunities of Disaster

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Over the course of the last few weeks, it seems that every time we turn on the news another devastating disaster has struck. Category 5 Hurricane Irma pummeled through various areas across the country, taking everything, even the lives of innocent civilians. Dozens of mindless shootings have occurred nationwide since September’s start. Not to mention, the tragic accidents and deaths that seem to be taking place at an alarming rate. So what does this mean for us as everyday people in society? Let’s take these disasters and turn them into opportunities.

Opportunities to BE KINDER

Try, even on your best day, to recognize that someone you come into contact with may very well be having his or her worst day. Instead of walking by someone with your head glued to your phone, offer a smile. Instead of sitting silently at your desk, compliment the woman next to you on her new shoes. Instead of getting irritated your coffee was made wrong, pay for the customer behind you. These small acts of kindness seem so simple, but you honestly never know when you could have the ability to change someone’s entire day.

Opportunities to VOLUNTEER

Often times natural disasters, such as Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, create damage that can take weeks, months, or even years to rebuild. As unimaginable as it is for most of us to have everything we value washed away, this is the sad reality for many people impacted by these storms. Take this as an opportunity to volunteer and help people in these positions. Every act of volunteering makes a significant difference, whether it’s something as small as donating to a local church’s food basket to actually flying down to the Caribbean to rebuild homes. Simply writing a message to someone involved in any sort of disaster shows him or her that there are people who care.

Opportunities to GROW

A wise man once said “That which does not kill us makes us stronger” and boy oh boy is that the truth. Often times it is the hardships that shape us into the people we become. When something bad happens you can either let it define you, destroy you, or strengthen you. This is true no matter how big or small the situation. A bad day at work can easily be fixed by a long night with your best friend and a few laughs. A traumatic experience may not be so easy to overcome, but just remember how far a positive attitude can take you. Learning from these struggles can help you to become an even brighter, stronger person in the long run.

INSPIRATION 

My inspiration for this piece came from my insanely brave and inspiring aunt, Julie, who lives in the U.S. Virgin Islands and experienced Irma firsthand. Even after seeing the effects of such an intense storm and the devastation that struck her homeland in only a matter of days, she remains determined to do whatever necessary to help the island she considers home. Julie has spent her days assessing the needs of friends, neighbors, and colleagues; she even helped implement a temporary shelter at her office for the majority of her coworkers who have lost everything and have nowhere to stay. Life on St. Thomas, and everywhere else impacted by these natural disasters, may quite honestly never be the same, but it is the resilient and courageous people like my auntie Julie who will make the areas feel like home again and turn disaster into opportunity. 

University of New Hampshire, Class of 2018 Campus Correspondent Please contact me if you would like to join our team!