Meet the President of the Atkins Investment Group, Alexys!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

This week we had the honor of being able to sit down with this year’s president of the Atkins Investment Group here on campus, Alexys Gilcreast. She filled us in on all her UNH favorites, taught us more about the Atkins Investment Group, and gave us some insight into what keeps her going! 

Could you tell be a little bit more about the Atkins Investment Group on Campus?

The Atkins Investment Group is a completely student run investment fund comprised of 41 members from varying majors and colleges across campus. The group was incepted in March of 2005, and in our eleven years of operation the fund has grown to over $200,000.00, comprised of both long-only equity and fixed income positions. Atkins gives students a platform for group learning, mentorship, and real world experience while developing practical skills through communication, presentation, and analysis.

Basics

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major: Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting and a minor in Psychology

Hometown: Hudson, New Hampshire

UNH

Hoco or Philly? Hoco

Homecoming or Cinco? Homecoming- I love seeing all of the alumni come back to Paul College. 

Dimond or Paul? Paul aka Home

DHOP, Dominos, or Papa Johns? “I don’t like pizza.” *orders late night Dominos*

Football or hockey? I am the worst Wildcat, I’ve never been to either

Hut or Coffee craving? I’m a die-hard Breaking New Grounds kind of gal

When and why did you decide to join Atkins?

I interviewed for Atkins at the end of my Freshman year, and was offered a position to be part of the 2016 Analyst Class the following Fall. I joined Atkins because I had an interest in the markets and wanted to better understand and further develop my technical skills in the financial valuation and investing space. In addition, I was seeking a group that challenged each other; where each member worked diligently to further themselves and others in the group. I did not feel that there was a better or more well-suited group than Atkins.

How has being president influenced your college career?

I truly treasure my role as president within the group and feel extremely fortunate to be selected for the role. Above all, being president has allowed me to further develop my knowledge in the finance space. It has allowed me to become a more effective communicator and a better leader.

How do you balance everything?

It’s easy to give something your all when you are as passionate as I am about Atkins. This group has completely transformed who I am as a student and a young professional, and for that, I am willing to put in endless hours and energy.

To answer your question, a ton of coffee to keep me awake, and vitamin C to boost my immune system. I have an amazing support system of family and friends, and a wonderful executive board within Atkins. I am not in this alone, and knowing that is truly all I need.

What is your favorite part about being involved with Atkins?

I have never worked harder at something in my life, but I do it alongside some of the best people I know. We constantly work to better each other and ourselves, and it works. My favorite part about Atkins can’t be narrowed to just one. It is having the ability to watch the development of the group as a whole. It is the team work and collaboration that goes in to every pitch, the thoughtful guest speaker engagement, and watching members be placed in their dream job’s at some of the most prestigious company’s in the industry. That is what makes all of the hard work and long hours worth it.

Is there anyone at UNH that has made a big impact on your life? How? 

Tamara Rury, the Director of Undergraduate Programs at Paul College, has made an immense impact on my life. As a sophomore, Tamara granted me an interview and ultimately accepted me as a Peer Advisor for the FIRE program, which is the First Year Innovation and Research Experience. Being a Peer Advisor as a sophomore was pivotal to my college career and experience at UNH and I feel so fortunate to be involved in such an amazing program. Tamara has always believed in me, always been there when I need assistance with anything under the sun, and truly has a heart of gold. She rewards hard work and dedication and always thinks of the students first. She is one of the most selfless people I have ever met, and as I say, she changes people’s lives. I am so lucky to have Tamara as a role model. 

All photos courtesy of Alexys Gilcreast

UNH 2018
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!