This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity: Martha Dempsey! Martha is a junior at UNH studying Hospitality Management. She is currently the head pastry chef at The Colony Hotel in Kennebunkport, ME. Martha crafts beautiful and tasty desserts. Check out our exclusive interview below to learn more about this weeks Campus Celebrity!

Name: Martha Dempsey

Hometown: Kennebunkport, Maine

Grade: Junior

Major: Hospitality Management

When did you start cooking? And who taught you to cook? I’ve been cooking and watching Food Network ever since I was a little kid. I started working in the food industry in high school and picked up cooking over the years from working under various chefs.

Can you tell us about the hotel you work for? I work at The Colony Hotel located on the beach in Kennebunkport, ME. It is a seasonal hotel, open from May to October, that has two restaurants and hosts several events and weddings. The Colony is 100 years old and is pet friendly!

What is your favorite dessert to make? I like to make cupcakes because they’re cute!

What is your favorite dessert to eat? Croissants

What is the hardest part about being a pastry chef? Time management. There are several events and meals each day, so planning out when to make what can be tricky.

What is the most embarrassing things that has happened to you while working? One time last summer, I was about to serve a cake for an anniversary party and I dropped it right in the middle of the kitchen. Not only was I embarrassed, but I had to explain the missing cake to the guests.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Somewhere tropical, working at a beachfront resort!

Which dinning hall is your favorite? Philly, duh.

Gennifer Davidson

Griffith Gold Coast

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!