This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

What do you want to be when your grow up? What is your passion? What are you good at?

Do these questions sound familiar? You probably heard them constantly during your junior and senior year of high school. You might have had a solid answer and were sure yourself that you knew what you wanted to study in college and one day have a career in. But now you are sitting in your dorm room, textbooks open on your desk and trying to avoid the thought, “this is not what I want to do”.

This was me my freshman year of college. Coming to UNH I was set on majoring in marine biology. Since my junior year of high school I pictured myself studying the ocean and all the magnificent creatures that live within it. I was decent at science throughout high school so I was determined I could get through it. But as I sat through my biology class, each day became more miserable. At the same time, I was taking a journalism class and it quickly became my favorite. I was interested in the material and it came naturally to me. Writing has always been my strong suit but I truly never thought I could form a career I’d actually enjoy. But as the semester continued on, I was beginning to discover what I truly enjoyed and I was having a hard time accepting that my life plan might not be what I actually wanted. In the end, after tearful conversations with my mom and long moments of silence in my own thoughts, I made the decision to pursue journalism as my major.

It is okay for plans to change. Nothing is set in stone. You are in college to help figure yourself out. Focus on yourself and what you love to do. Who cares what other may think you should do. Do not think the major you feel passionate about is any less than other majors. Do not think little of your talents and abilities. You are spending your money, so why not spend it on something you enjoy? Some people do know what they really want to do when entering college and that’s great, but there is also many that do not and it takes time for them to figure it out. You are not the only one. Do not be afraid to change your major, and maybe change it again and again. Find your passion.

UNH Journalism Student
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!