This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I recently read something about the Irish Exit. I had never heard of it before so was interested in looking more into it.

According to Urban Dictionary, the Irish Exit is:

Some reasons to perform an Irish Exit are:

1. Needing your bed after a long day/night

2. Going to meet up with a guy

3. You want/need food (here in Durham there are so many options for late night eating who doesn’t want something to eat at the end of a night)

4. Going outside to make a phone call

5. Leaving because you’re crying (we’ve all been there, don’t worry)

6. Then there’s the friend you thought left that is in the bathroom making new friends

We’ve all done it, left the bar or a party without telling your friends for whatever reason. I think what was missing from the articles I’ve read on the Irish Exit before was any mention of also being safe. We can leave whenever we want to but we should tell someone where we are. Try your best to have someone walk you home as well. It’s never good to be walking alone at night.

Regardless of the reason, we need to always remember to be safe. Durham is a safe place but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t also be careful. Walking home alone in the dark, especially after being at a bar or a party makes us more vulnerable than walking home from the library late at night. Whatever the reason we leave without telling our friends is, we need to try to remember to let someone know where we are. Not only for your safety, but for your friends sanity because more often than not they’re looking for you.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!