The Infamous Dating How-To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Let me just set the scene: You are in class and a really hot guy walks up to you and asks if the seat is taken. You immediately respond “no” with a smile and you two start talking and hit it off. Then after class he gives you his number, you leave class feeling great, until you realize that you now have to make the first move……

Ok, so I am sure many have been put in this situation, or one similar, that we can all agree its a bit nerve racking. You want to be yourself but you don’t want to seem too boring, or the opposite too excited. So what are you supposed to do? With every new person you ask comes a new response and after a while you have a bunch of actions that you are “supposed” to take without actually knowing which one to take. So this brings me to the question, if these actions that we need to take are supposed to be known, then why does everyone have a different idea of what they actually are? For someone trying to start a conversation this can be overwhelming with the amount of information they are supposed to just know off the top of their head. To make matters worse, along with word of mouth, there are also published books that have contradictory advice. So what does this mean? Are there actual guidelines, or is this idea just some facade that has been repeated to us? In life there are never any guidelines, so why do we all of a sudden think there is one for starting to talk to a guy? Now here is one last opinion for you, just be yourself, don’t try to be something you’re not, and if you still don’t know what to say just wing it! If he doesn’t like you for one of those reasons, then he doesn’t deserve your time anyway!

Have Fun :)