How I Fell in Love with UNH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The truth is, no one can tell you REALLY why he or she chose his or her undergraduate school. Yes you tour the campus; Yes you find out about all the extra curricular activities, the amazing professors, how good the athletic programs are, and the great dining hall food. You see the incredible dormitory space, the famous hang out spots and the legendary accomplishments of the school, BUT none of these attributes match up to what it actually feels like to fall in love with your school.

Why did I choose UNH? To be honest, it is the cheapest school I applied to, and has an extraordinary Biomedical Science Program. Sold. That’s all it took. Tour Guides, Parents, Alumni, peers and more would always tell me about the typical reasons why to go to a school but never gave me any other realization of what it feels like to be at any college. All the above attributes did encourage me to go to UNH, however the way I, and hopefully many more will, fell in love with the school was not something you will hear in any information session.

The people:

Walking to class is not as boring as it seems when you realize everyone around you is smiling and giggling. UNH, a university of over 12,000 students not including grad students, constantly has people walking around campus and hanging out in every nook and cranny. No matter what, everyone is always approachable and is always there to help. Students in both dorms and apartments are willing to make conversation over help on homework or even what is the best shower stall to use.

The atmosphere:

The moment I realized just how in love I was with UNH was a day in my early freshman year walking to class on Main Street. The smiling people walking by, the students relaxing on every lawn either taking in the sun or doing some homework, and the colors of the foliage changing as Fall took over Summer; amazing. There is no better way to describe the rush of being somewhere you can feel at home away from home. I know the giant one-mile plus long campus cannot possibly feel close to your small family home, right? Wrong.  The campus is more than just academic buildings and dorm rooms; Fellow students surround you your own age and they are all going through the same academics, the same struggles and the same life changing experience. Inside both dorms and academic buildings you will find comfortable rooms to eat, study, nap or hang out in with the dozens of new people you will meet. UNH has an aura that comforts one in over 12,000 students; you may be far from home but something about the atmosphere feels like a hug from mom.  

The faculty and curriculum:

There has not been one class that I have taken at UNH that I have deliberately hated. Yes, I have taken classes that are painfully hard (AKA Organic Chemistry) but it is part of my major and I have never been out of interest or unable to seek help if needed. Out of 21 classes I have taken at the university, almost every one has been a 150+ person lecture. In other words, you are usually a number to a professor, not a name; but not at UNH. My professors have always been able to personally meet with me and know me by name even if I am one of 200 and has had a huge impact on how comfortable I feel with heading towards graduation. There is also always a place to study whether its in a quiet place like the silent library, your bedroom or the more social Union Court seating area, you will always have somewhere to go full of more friendly people in comfortable settings.  

The spirit:

When it comes to school spirit, every Wildcat has become your brother and sister. There is a bond you would not believe between everyone when you are all ready to cheer on fellow Wildcats. The memorized chants, the endless wildcat attire, the face paint, stickers, rally towels and of course the free t-shirts make us all one big family. Even to those who visit UNH from other schools, we accept them as our own, unless maybe if they are cheering on University of Maine; maybe ;). 

So how do I know that I love UNH? Because I love my home and and fellow kitties. Once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!