How to Dress for YOURSELF this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I hate this notion of “dressing for your man” on Valentine’s Day. Here’s an idea… how about dressing for yourself and letting him equally enjoy the show? Not to mention, where are my single ladies at? Why does Valentine’s Day have to be dreaded by all the women out there with no one to share the day with? Yes… it is a day for love birds. But there are just as many single guys as there are girls out there. How about you look good and feel good…for YOU. The most brilliant part? When you’re happy with YOURSELF your natural pheromones will spread like rapid fire and then…BOOM! You’re the happy couple celebrating (not only on Valentine’s Day) but every day of the year. SO here it goes…. My first annual “Celebrate yourself” cheesy Valentine’s Day rant:

1. Victoria’s Secret is not just there to help you look sexy for your guy on Valentine’s Day. I’ll admit… I was walking through VS yesterday and I heard two young (and by young I mean prepubescent) girls asking each other what bra they thought their boyfriend would like most. I had one of those moments that I’m about to tell you NOT to have. The dreaded “I don’t even want to look at these because I have no one to wear them for” thought crossed my mind. You know what? I think the most well deserving person of those clothes is YOU… not your man. Buy something that makes you feel beautiful and sexy. Put it on and enjoy a box of chocolates because at the end of the day…. 95% of the boyfriends on campus who get to see their girlfriends in such lingerie are entirely UNDESERVING of the fact. And on February 15th the universe will shift back to normal and all the cute couples will turn back into the passive aggressive, immature relationships that they really are.

2. Do you go out? Or do you lay in your bed all night and mourn the loss of your dignity to the sound of Ryan Gosling’s “I want all of you….forever…you and me” Notebook rant.  Please don’t make me say it…. GO OUT. This year we have Valentine’s Day on a Friday. PERFECT. Durham is boring on Friday’s anyway. Get dressed up (red, please) and go with your other single friends to Portsmouth. Have some sushi. Wear some ridiculous platforms. Dance in the streets. Have an amazing night for YOURSELF. Celebrate yourself. Celebrate your freedom. This is America my friends. Don’t be the cynical, “I hate my single life” cliché who walks around hating the day. Are you celebrating Valentine’s Day? SURE YOU ARE. Girl, you’re celebrating with yourself and you look amazing doing it.

3. Chocolate. Why does obsessive chocolate-eating get seen as a negative impact of Valentine’s Day? I don’t know about you girls but I work hard. I have no guy buying be a big box of Russell Stover. But do I want one? Um, yes I’d like 5 actually. Am I going to go buy myself one at Rite-Aid? Yes, yes I am. Am I going to pretend it’s a gift for my grandmother when I get to the register and see the cashier’s judgmental looks? No. Do I care who you are? Is your opinion of relevant matter to my life? Nope. No, didn’t think so. Let me say it again for you… YOU DESERVE IT. No, this is not one of those “girl power” rants. I don’t care what you do with your time. I don’t care if you eat chocolate every day religiously, or never at all. The fact of the matter is that this holiday is about celebrating. And guess what? I’m worth celebrating. And so are you.

I may not have gotten exactly into the fashion of this holiday, because for once it doesn’t seem relevant (don’t quote me on that). What’s that they say about the prettiest girls? I believe they’re the ones that love themselves. So let this be a public service announcement to every female on this campus. You deserve an amazing Valentine’s Day. Whether you have a great guy to celebrate with or not, make sure to do a little celebrating of your own as well. Dress for you, because Valentine’s Day is about celebrating relationships, and we all know the most important relationship of all is the one you have with yourself (preach it Carrie). 

Leah Wesolaski. Fashion enthusiast. Study Abroad Florence 2012. www.wildfreecouture.blogspot.com
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!