This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Body image has been on the forefront of the media for quite some time now. There are constant blogs and videos talking about how to eat cleaner, workout harder, or posts blatently shaming heavier/thinner women than the “norm.” I found myself succumbing to those telling me to eat less and not to eat as many sweets, until recently I realized I was NOT happy. I was never one to fuss over my weight, until I was constantly being told I should! Instead of becoming happier and toned, I was becoming angry and irritable. After noticing this change in myself it finally hit me that how I view myself should not be determined by my stomach, but by my mind. Healthy weight is very important, ofcourse. That being said, if the doctor isn’t telling you your weight is a problem, DO NOT FUSS! Alongside healthy weight, mental health is just as important, if not more important. The new fad in fitness should be balancing a healthy belly, and a happy mind. Working out is amazing and works as a great mood stabilizer; however, if you are tired and cannot make it to the gym one day, LISTEN to your body. Healthy eating is important to keep your body going, but junk food is good for your mental health! Do not deprive yourself of a little junk food if you are craving it; just like the gym, chocolate is also a natural mood stabilizer. SO next time you are looking in the mirror upset about your belly, ask yourself if you are healthy. If you have a healthy belly, working out your mind should be the biggest priority.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!