Get To Know The Office of Health Education & Promotion’s Fresh Check Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With the University of New Hampshire’s 2nd annual Fresh Check Day this Thursday, October 6th, it’s important to take a look at the group responsible for putting on such a special day: The Office of Health Education and Promotion. Last year two seniors, Ryan Walsh and Stephanie Schmeltzer, decided to implement this event on our campus. This year, students Jill Burke and Becky Laliberte are in charge of planning and organizing the day. Where this type of event was uncommon not too many years ago, today most colleges and universities around the country are organizing events just like these in an effort to reduce the stigma around mental health, while at the same time generating awareness. Employees, student volunteers and interns work closely at the Office of Health Education and Promotion in Health Services to make this day so special.

Fresh Check Day is being marketed as an event planned by the students, for the students, which really entices a lot of the student body to support. According to the website, the primary goals are to: 1.) Increase awareness of mental health resources and services available to students at UNH, 2.) Empower peers to a gatekeepers by understanding by understanding warning signs and knowing what to do if a friend is exhibiting signs of suicide or a mental health concern, 3.) Increase willingness to ask for help if experiencing emotional distress, 4.) Reduce stigma and misconceptions around mental health and suicide that often deter individuals from seeking help.

The actual event will take place on Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Hamel Recreation Center. The event will include pet therapy, chair massages, interactive booths, food, prizes and even a giveaway for a free flat-screen television! While the event includes a variety of fun distractions, the main hope is for students to take time out of their busy day and recharge. Often college students become so consumed with the struggles and obstacles of their busy lives that they forget to take a minute to relax. Those involved with planning Fresh Check Day hope that the day will ultimately raise awareness of the dangers of mental health throughout the UNH campus.

Be sure to swing by the Hamel Recreation Center this Thursday to check in with yourself! 

University of New Hampshire, Class of 2018 Campus Correspondent Please contact me if you would like to join our team!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!