A Freshman’s Guide to Homecoming at UNH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Homecoming is right around the corner and to put things into perspective: it’s the “Cinco” of fall semester. For freshmen and transfers these events probably mean nothing to you, and that is exactly why I’ve decided to take the time to spread awareness! Take all of the things you learned about homecoming in high school and throw them out the window. Then shut the window and lock it. Seriously, if you show up to Boulder field in a cocktail dress and heels you’ll find yourself knee deep in regret and mud. Homecoming is the one day of the year you can hop on a bandwagon and not be ridiculed for it. On this day at UNH, we are all die-hard, football fans decked out in Wildcat gear from head to toe. As a senior now, I feel I have enough experience to make sure you freshmen (and transfers) are well prepared for the big day!

1. Take it easy the Friday before.

No sweaty basement frat party is worth a hangover on Homecoming—this is a promise.

2. Get your ticket ahead of time.

10 times out of 10 when you go to download your e-ticket the day of, the website will be down, your internet won’t be working, or your phone will explode. That’s just the way the universe works.

3. Eat breakfast.

You have a long day ahead of you. Run to HOCO and load up on all the carbs you can. Energy is vital to lasting the whole day!

4. You don’t have to be up before the sun rises.

I don’t know where this rumor started but I’m here to end it. The game doesn’t begin until 3:30 so in order to make it to the peak of the tailgate you really don’t have to be there until around 1 o’clock. Turn those alarms off!

5. Pinterest is your best friend.

School spirit is never more in style than it is on Homecoming. Get creative! And turn to Pinterest for some DIY t-shirt inspo!

6. Pay attention to the weather.

Homecoming happens rain or shine. If it’s torrential downpours, you better have your poncho ready! (Fingers crossed this year is finally sunny.)

7. Befriend upperclassmen.

This piece of advice can get you through all of Freshman year. Upperclassmen love taking “frosh” under their wings, so take advantage. Plus, they’re the ones with the trucks on game day!

8. Don’t wear white sneakers.

Homecoming is a pair of white tennis shoe’s worst nightmare. No matter how careful you are, your Converse stand no chance against Boulder.

9. Not everyone makes it to the game.

As stated earlier, it’s a long day. I support our Wildcats just as much as the next student but actually making it into the game can be a struggle on it’s own. That being said, you should at least try!

10. Pizza is very important.

The post-homecoming blues come quick so beat the feels with a slice from DHOP!  

Enjoy your first Homecoming, I would give anything to have four more to look forward to!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!