This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The approach to college is filled with fears and anxieties for everyone. It is, after all, the first time you must stand alone, the first time you have to fend for yourself. But, it is the first time you get to live your life as you! Although I am only a freshman myself, I can confidently say that the college experience is more about learning who you are as an individual, than learning about a topic out of a text. You will discover so many things about yourself, some within the first few hours after your drop off, some within the first few days, or for some things it may even take a semester, if not more.

Of course, these things are very exciting, but also intimidating. As college approaches, many freshmen tend to experience the same, or similar fears in regard to friends, failure, gaining weight and the main reason for your presence on campus, your future. Being a freshman, I feel I can suggest some ways to really come to terms with these fears and act on them with an opposing force.

Friends, or lack of. The most prominent fear for incoming freshmen. We took for granted the fact that we all had friends at home. In fact, it almost feels as though we have forgotten how to make friends, the ones most familiar to us just kind of appeared at a young age. You are now faced with the task of meeting new people. The good news is, so is everyone else. Nobody wants to be the lonely one, the one that sits alone in all of their classes or, the one that sits alone in their dorm all weekend. Luckily, you will be in all sorts of scenarios that expose you to new people. You will be in classes, labs, and you will more than likely meet people living in neighboring dorms, and all of these people are in the same boat. But, you will need to take it to the next level; exposure alone will not grant you any friends. Before a class begins, or on your way out, speak up! Introduce yourself. Rejection is the real fear in making friends, but in the end, rejection is something most would rather temporarily deal with than long term loneliness. And, to be honest, the confidence that you exude in taking action will more than likely leave you with a new friend. You are showing them the confidence that they more than likely wish they had, and again, they’re in the same boat. I would also advise trying new clubs; you will meet people with similar interests. If you decide you don’t like a certain club you can still keep in contact with those you met in the process of experimentation. You will make friends, it may just take a little effort and there are so many opportunities to do it.

Failure (academic). Maybe not complete failure, or as an F, as failure can mean different things to different people. Many students tend to hold themselves to pretty high standards. For example a C+ for some can be their equivalent to an F.  First off, it is important to know that the high school curriculum is very different from that of a collegiate curriculum. That being said, I wouldn’t go as far as to say you are bound to fail, but prepare to sit with some discomfort. Most of college is trial and error (at least this far in the game). As hard as it is to experience failure, whatever that means to you or, whatever your letter grade threshold is, it is important to experience it. Failure is a great opportunity to get to know yourself and the ways in which you learn best. Embrace it! I have always found that learning and reviewing my failures have only enhanced my knowledge in a particular area while also enhancing my learning tactics. However, if you do find yourself without improvement, there are always academic resources on campus that are more than willing to help you bridge the disconnects. Failure is not the end of the world, there will always be a tomorrow to try again!

Gaining Weight. The ‘freshman fifteen’ is a very relevant thing, especially in today’s world of food. Freshmen tend to enter college carrying various insecurities about various things, some already being weight related due to the way body image is presently projected in the media. It is hard to adjust to new eating situations, in this case, dining halls. Dining halls are some of the easiest places to lose yourself, anything and everything is available and it doesn’t help that everything is presented so enticingly. Dining halls can also be quite overwhelming, especially at peak meal hours. This often results in most students grabbing the first thing they see, and nine times out of ten, it’s not a salad or anything remotely similar. That being said, scanning the menu prior to taking your trip to the dining hall could be a good tactic for you if you’d like to make healthy eating a part of your routine. Planning your meals will keep you off the often wandered path leading the plate of poor habit. Alongside eating well, exercise is another component of healthy upkeep. One of the most successful ways to stay on track with exercising is to set aside the time to actually do it. Make a note in your planner, add it in 2-3 times a week! There is the common fear of the gym, but the gym isn’t for everyone and that’s okay. There are many different ways to get some exercise in. There’s outdoor long distance running or group classes of many sorts like cycling and yoga. You don’t want your health to be a chore, so it is very important to find a form of exercise that you truly enjoy to ensure that you follow through! With a balance between smart eating and exercise, you should easily be able to maintain physical health while also gaining confidence. After all, a healthy body is a healthy mind!

Future. The real reason we all attend an institution of higher education is to create a solid foundation for our future. The future is fearful because it’s so unknown. So many students feel the need to begin college knowing exactly what they want to do otherwise their future is ‘doomed.’ In reality, we are all 17, 18, 19, honestly we’re lucky if we really, truly, know what we want to do from day one. I strongly encourage you to explore things outside of your field of interest, or at least make sure to explore all of your interests. It is important to be doing something you enjoy. Rule things out and don’t convince yourself you’re interested in something you’re not just because it will get you where you want to go. Create your own path and be willing to take risks. College is an amazing chance to explore. There are so many opportunities for all sorts of exploration right at your fingertips. I came to school as a biology major on the pre-medicine track, but come to find out biology was not for me. I was feeling unfulfilled taking the classes I was enrolled in. This semester, I am exploring psychology and justice studies, as I have had an interest in these disciplines for some time now. The decision to change my major was very difficult. To take the courses I wanted to experiment with, I had to divert from the pre-medicine track which overwhelmed me to a point I didn’t think existed. Although this risk created stress, I am more than glad that I took the risk of being behind with my pre-medicine requirements. I know that I will not regret pursuing potential interests and I am aware that I can still work in a doctor’s office. I am also aware that I am taking my own ‘track’ to get there. I believe that being happy in the process of getting to where you want to be is of great importance. So, I urge you to try new things, take risks, and do what evokes your personal happiness.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!