A DIY Guide to GoodWill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I can say, first hand, that there’s nothing quite like rocking an amazing pair of denim high-waisters with studs down the sides and knowing they cost you collectively about 8 dollars. Though there are websites that specialize in custom shorts of this caliber, you essentially have to sell them an arm, a leg, 80-100 dollars, and your soul to get your hands on a pair. Allow me to help! We have an amazing resource at our disposal, which not many people capitalize on: GOODWILL.

I know it may feel a bit strange at first, but do yourself a favor and next time you drive by a Savers, Salvation Army or Goodwill turn into the parking lot. Walk inside and buy yourself two simple things: The most wretched pair of bleached 80’s mom jeans you can find, the higher waist the better, and furthermore an oversized men’s button down. I am about to show you your perfect go-to summer outfit.

Step one is turning your retro jeans into the perfect pair of high-waisted jean shorts. Do yourself a favor and buddy up with a friend to make things easier. It’s easiest to get the length right if you measure them while you have them on.

1. Put them on and have your friend mark with a pen or a small cut the length you would like to keep them at. Remember to leave an excess inch or so to cuff at the bottom (if that’s your style). I typically like my shorts longer on the inside of my thigh and slightly shorter towards the outside, but that is entirely up to you.
  2. Cut the line you make.
  3. If you choose to cuff them I recommend putting a very thin layer of fabric or hot glue between the cuffs to keep it from rolling down. Apply the glue then fold them up.
  4. Lastly, and again this is optional, if you choose to add studs you can get them at your local AC Moore or from this neat online shop (http://studsandspikes.com/). You can get whatever size, shape and color you prefer. I typically put mine on going down the seams on the outside of my thighs. You simply push them into the fabric and use needle nose pliers to twist the prongs inward, securing the stud into place.

Step two is styling your oversized men’s button down shirt. Start by putting the shirt on and make sure to take a good before picture!!

1. Put the shirt around your body and leave your arms outside of the sleeves. Essentially just wrap in around your belly. Button the middle two to three buttons of the shirt (depending how long your torso is) and leave the top and bottom unbuttoned.
  2. Next take each sleeve and wrap it around the back of you, crossing them as you go, and around to the opposite sides of your body.
  3. Meet the two sleeve in the front of your shirt (so they wrap around your whole body) and tie them in a very puffy, scruntchy bow. Don’t worry about it being perfect, the art of this shirt is its imperfections.

Now throw on those beautiful high-waisters and take a look in the mirror. This effortless summer look is entirely personal to you and is guaranteed to cost you less than 10 dollars. 

Leah Wesolaski. Fashion enthusiast. Study Abroad Florence 2012. www.wildfreecouture.blogspot.com
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!