This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Dear 2019,

You just got to college and you’re drenched in sweat. You just moved into the 9th floor of Williamson, the elevator was too crowded to use and its about 95 degrees. You dressed cute (there’s boys at college!!) and you would DIE to be in gym shorts and a tank. You just met your roommate and her entire immediate family, and possibly that significant other that MAY or may not be gone by winter break. You’re overwhelmed- there’s A LOT going on.  Where do you even begin? You have to go eat dinner at the dining hall, where even is it? Isn’t Philly in Pennsylvania??? Take a deep breath. I’m here to make sure you survive freshman year… well let’s be real, survive first semester. After that, I promise you’ll forget you’re even a freshman. But please don’t forget, you are a freshman. 

Have your ID on you at all times. 

There’s nothing worse than being denied access for lack of identification (fancy way of saying you FORGOT your ID..) You’re gonna need it when you’re feeling guilty after last night’s DHop trip and you realize you need to make a GYM trip to burn calories before the next pizza binge (tonight). Yes, they actually won’t let you into the gym without an ID, even if you’re wearing a UNH t-shirt with UNH shorts and a UNH hat with blue UNH socks and a wildcat tattoo on your face. Don’t try to negotiate with the people at the desk- they’re not gonna budge.  You’ll need it to get into the hockey games, to check something out from the library, when those scanners at the dining hall decide not to work, to fall asleep at night, etc. DO NOT WEAR IT AROUND YOUR NECK ON A LANYARD!!!!

Memorize your ID number. 

Just do it. Make it sound like a phone number. This will become more important than your social security number. Not really. But you’ll actually have this one memorized and still not be able to remember your social… #college

Look both ways before crossing the street. 

Please. I don’t WANT to run you over. I know you have the right of way. But if my front tire is about to be in the crosswalk and you decide to walk full stride into that white paint, I don’t want your attitude when I almost hit you. I’m going to stop my vehicle if I see you approach the sidewalk, establish your walking direction and step cautiously into the crosswalk. Common sense is KEY here. I believe in you.

Keep your head on a SWIVEL in the dining hall. 

Walk in straight, direct lines. Everyone in there is on his/her own private mission with the same goal in mind: to eat as much food as humanly possible. If you’re hesitant about what you want to get, grab a drink after scanning the perimeter and sit down to weigh your meal options. Don’t wander aimlessly in the dining hall. Everyone else is in there is already having an anxiety attack trying to get all their food on a plate and begin the hunt for a table. This advice is most relevant during the 12:30pm lunch rush. I would personally avoid the dining hall during this time but hey, a girl’s gotta eat.

Make a friend in every one of your classes

This is so necessary it hurts. I don’t care if you won the 100% attendance award in high school. You are going to miss class. One day you’re gonna be too tired. Another day you’re going to feel sick. Another day you’re going to turn Netflix on and binge for 3 hours and realize you missed 2 classes right in a row. You’re going to need someone that you can text to fill you in when you’re not there. Just make sure you return the favor and take the best notes of your life when they’re absent. You might even have to shut your phone off for such occasions (say what?!?!?!).  And remember that if something was due that day, you’re just SOL. Maybe your buddy can cover for you. Friendship is fun.

Branch out

It doesn’t matter what kid you were in high school- the jock, the nerd, the theater kid, etc. The great thing about college is that you get a fresh new start. And people don’t judge as hard as they did in high school. It’s nice. Chances are if you’re passionate about something, then there’s a pre-existing group that shares your passion. At UNH, we have 1,387,532 clubs. That is an educated estimate. Join one. It’s a great way to meet new people while being in an environment you feel comfortable in. Heck, join three if you want. Put yourself out there. 

Enjoy the HELL out of this year

I could shed a tear right now thinking about my freshman year. You’ll never get this year of ridiculousness back. You’re classes might seem tough right now, but it gets worse. Do your work but make time to go out and do stupid freshman things with your friends. Take a picture with the wildcat. People (upperclassmen) might make fun of you, but you can bet your ass they were hanging all over that metal cat their freshman year. You’re going to have a lot of ups and unfortunately a lot of downs as well. You’re going to make new friends and lose some along the way, but the ones who make it through by your side will be there for the rest of your life. Soak it in, freshmen. Cause any one of us seniors would admit- we’d kill to be back in your shoes. 

Love, 2016

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!