Campus Celebrity: Kelly Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Kelly Smith! A New Hampshire native, Kelly brought his talent to UNH this year and has become known around campus for it. Keep on reading our exclusive Her Campus interview to learn more about this local celeb!

Name: Kelly Smith

Hometown: Londonderry, NH

Grade: Sophomore

Major: Business Management

Activities/Clubs: Drawing, Baseball, Barbering and Theta Chi Fraternity

When did you give your first haircut?

I gave my first haircut probably in 2010 when I was a sophomore in high school.

How did you get your business started?

I started my business before I got my actual license. I started cutting hair in my basement in 2011 and slowly it became a place where friends of friends would come by, chill and get their hair cut. After high school, I decided to commute to SNHU and attend barber school.

You recently cut hair at the MUB for a Theta Chi event. What was that like?

The event I helped create, along with Jake Rolfe, was called “Cuts for a Cause.” It was an amazing experience. It was awesome to help not only raise money, but raise the awareness for child cancer research. I did about 30 cuts that day and even though it was tiring, it was totally worth seeing the excitement brought on by the courageous ones who donated their money and/or shaved their heads!

What are you currently doing barber-wise, while also being a student?

As of now, I work as a sole proprietor cutting students hair at UNH and as a barber at Fouc’s Barbershop in Hampstead, NH. I work close to 30 hours a week, so time management is a key factor for me. I am currently studying Business Management/Marketing in order for me to pursue my dream of one day owning my own successful barbershop franchise. 

Where do you see yourself five years from now?

Five years from now, I see myself still in the barber business, whether it’ll be working under someone to gain more experience, owning my very own barbershop, or maybe even working for a barber-related corporation such as Wahl, Andis, Conair, Paul Mitchell, Supercuts, etc.

If anyone is looking for a cut on campus, check out Kelly’s work and contact info on Instagram @kellyskutz

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!