This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Introducing today’s Campus Celebrity, Kara Reddy! Kara is an employee of Campus Recreation, and is known around UNH for her outstanding boot camp classes. In addition to Bodyweight Boot Camp (Monday and Thursday nights) Kara also hosts a core conditioning class as well as a cycling class on Wednesday evenings. Keep reading to learn more about what Kara has to offer to UNH group exercise!

Name: Kara Reddy

Year: Senior

Major: Recreation Management and Policy- Program Administration

Minor: Nutrition and Wellness

What role does exercise play in your life?

A HUGE roll. It has been a big part of my life since I was a sophomore in high school. When I was about 15, I was very overweight (over 300 lbs) and finally decided that I needed to change myself for the better. By the time I was 16 I had lost over 120 lbs.

How did you get involved in group fitness?

I decided to go to a spin class at a gym in my town. From that day on, I continued going to fitness classes. I was obsessed with the loud music, the yelling, the sweat and just the passion the instructors had to better other peoples lives.  I decided that I really wanted to become a fitness instructor.  So I signed up. My first license was spinning and then I went on to getting a group exercise certification.  Now I have several fitness licenses that I have achieved and they are some of the best decisions I have ever made. 

What does being a fitness instructor entail for you on a weekly basic?

I want the people that come to my class to look forward to it, rather than dread it. Therefore, every single day I download new music, plan exercises, watch youtube videos, obsess over my best friend Jillian Michaels and constantly find new ways I can better the people who come in and out of the studio. I also want people to realize that being an instructor is a hard job.  Its not just pressing play and doing some pushups and throwing in some planks.  As an instructor you have to be able to change things up, think on your feet, stay on top of what the best music is, be able to teach especially when you don’t want to, and most importantly think about each and every person there. It is one of the most rewarding jobs someone could have. After each class if someone doesn’t say “thank you,” “that was so hard,”  “I’m going to throw up”  or “I need to lay down,” then I didn’t do my job right.

What makes your classes unique?

It is very important to me that I am different than any other instructor. When teaching at a college, such as UNH, it can be quite different than teaching at a town gym or regular fitness center. I try and remain as casual as I can but at the same time put all my effort into bettering my classes. I also try my hardest to make it a “non intimidating” environment. When I am teaching a class, I can come off as harsh and tough but everyone should know I care deeply about the people who come to my classes.

What is your favorite memory of being a group fitness instructor?

My favorite thing other than teaching my group fitness classes is a specific student who had gone to my classes for over a year tell me I am the reason she keeps going and  continues to lead a healthy lifestyle. That is why I do what I do because I want to help people.

Would you life to continue working in group fitness throughout your career?

Yes. After college, I hope to become a fitness director for 2 to 3 years then open my gym that will help overweight teens and adults better themselves.  At my gym I will offer group fitness classes, personal training and the best support system anyone could ask for.

(I’m serious, I already chose the color and name for it.)

If you could say one thing regarding your view on leading a healthy lifestyle, what would it be?

Strive for progress not perfection. What you ultimately want will not happen overnight. Hustle till you no longer feel like giving up.

All photos courtesy of Kara Reddy. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!