Campus Celebrity: Dave Perrella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Take a walk around the MUB with Dave Perrella and it may take you a few hours just to get from HoCo to the Granite State Room. Why? This week’s Campus Celeb is involved in so many clubs and orgs across the UNH campus that it seems like he knows everyone! Dave will stop and talk and share a friendly smile with just about anyone whether he knows you or not. We were lucky to have Dave take time out of his busy schedule to tell Her Campus about what he is involved with here in Wildcat Country!

What organizations/ clubs are you involved with at UNH?

Currently I’m a PAWS leader, leader for Outdoor Adventures, I was a UNH tour guide junior year, I sing in the choir for St. Thomas Moore Parish in downtown Durham, and I have been involved with CATS which stands for challenging academically talented students since Sophmore year.  

Dave at a UNH Outdoor Adventure trip

What is the best part about all of your various involvements at UNH?

I think the best part about it all is to have the chance to help people. I love this school and I love to emphasize the positive aspects about UNH and all the positive experiences we can have during our time here.

Explain what PAWS is and what sparked your interest in the organization.

PAWS is basically Freshmen getting to know each other out in the woods a week before classes begin. Each year, there are about 140 Freshmen and 50 student leaders involved in PAWS. There is a basecamp group that meets at Mendums Pond, which is a university owned property, as well as a backpacking group that hikes trails of the White Mountains.

PAWS is special because it essentially takes the accepting, welcoming, loving feeling that you get when you are around your best friends. This program concentrates that feeling down into a solution and we all take a week long shot of it. Having the chance to be apart of PAWS again and again every year makes me realize that the Freshmen have such an affect on you as a leader. It is all about the kids and the community!

Dave and fellow PAWS leader greeting incoming Freshmen.

What is one of the more unique club or org that you have been apart of on campus?

Athletes and Diversity comes to mind. It’s a really cool org that I got involved in last year. It is meant for student athletes but it really is open to everyone and it is such a cool group of kids. This organization really helps students to destress from getting caught up in day to day work and activities by having conversations about deep and important life topics. There are currently 50 or so people in the org and it meets every Monday in the MUB!

What role do these clubs play in your life as a student here at UNH?

They are what make life more interesting at UNH. Life in general is a lot more than what you learn in the classroom and I feel like you get out of life what you put into it and just like life you get out of college what you put into it. Everyone I’ve met from these orgs and clubs have taught me so much and college wouldn’t have been the same without them.

I have also learned time management, basically how to function on little to no sleep!

What would be your ultimate dream job?

It’s been my dream since Junior year in highschool to start a charity. I would love to begin a charity that would appeal to anybody across the world whether they are from a city or a developing country. My charity would provide assistance to people tailored to their particular needs and life situations. That is a long term goal. First I would need to build a financial base, hopefully by getting an engineering job potentially with the Navy.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!