Apple Cider Vinegar: Nature’s Remedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s 2017 and you can’t scroll through your Instagram or Facebook feed without some kind of miraculous health product popping up on your timeline. All latest fads aside, there is an unsung hero: Apple Cider Vinegar.

This vinegar is made from taking the liquid of apples and putting it through the fermentation process. A highly praised brand (and my personal favorite) is Braggs, which is made from organically grown apples. It is also naturally gluten free and contains 0 calories. It is raw and unfiltered, containing a substance called the mother.  The mother may look unappealing due to its cloudy appearance sitting at the bottom of the bottle but contains impressive natural qualities.

I was first turned to apple cider vinegar after my aunt, a healthy lifestyle enthusiast, started raving about its seemingly magical health benefits. This natural solution has been known to help kill bad bacteria. This lead me to give it a try, due to my hatred of being sick – even a stuffy nose or cough drives me crazy! I started taking a shot a day of it when a family member was sick in an attempt to boost my immune system, which has been successful so far. When I once came down with a bad head cold, I went a little crazy and took a couple shots. To my relief, I woke up the next morning with all major symptoms gone, only to be completely cleared the next day. Currently, whenever I run into a minor health issue I check to see if apple cider vinegar could help the cause.

Besides my personal experiences, apple cider vinegar has many more proven benefits.

Weight loss benefits

Apple cider vinegar has been known to curve an appetite. It creates a more full feeling in the stomach leading to a lower calorie intake. There are many recipes for different health drinks containing apple cider vinegar, such as one on the label of Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar.

Antiseptic benefits

As I stated, apple cider vinegar can kill many kinds of bacteria. After a night out of wearing a pair of uncomfortable heels, you can clean out blisters with a heated up, watered down apple cider vinegar solution to protect against infection.

Cooking staple

Apple cider vinegar has a strong taste, comparable to a very intense balsamic vinegar. It can be used in many recipes to complete a healthy meal. It makes a great salad dressing when mixed with honey mustard…a nice addition to a cobb salad.

Despite what your goals are in terms of your health, Apple Cider Vinegar is worth the try. Compared to all the processed and unnatural products out there; it is proven to be a safe, inexpensive, cleansing liquid. Apple cider vinegar not only may help your well being in the present, but promotes it for the future.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!