5 Reasons You Need a Moped

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

In May of 2014, sophomore me handed an envelope containing $800 cash (thanks mom) to my good friend Melyssa Woods. In return, I would drive out of the Cottages parking lot with my newest possession: a 2009 Yamaha moped. The horn was broken, and the electric start button didn’t work either. But with a few kick starts, she ran just fine. She- because she came with the name Jenny and I was told this was never to change (it fits her just right anyways). A year and a half later, my senior year, Jenny is running even better than the day I bought her. After a quick trip to mechanic, the horn is fixed, electric start button in tact and some new mirrors have her cruising campus like it’s 2009. But a much larger population of mopeds now accompanies her on the road. Since just last year, the number of mopeds has increased from 171 to 268, a 56% increase. People have caught moped fever, and there are a number of reasons why. Here are five: 

1. They save time

You want to go to HoCo, grab something from Rite Aid, then head to class. To the walker, this sounds exhausting. For the moped driver, it’s a piece of cake. You’ll move from point A to point B so fast, you’ll probably be early for point C. Those few extra minutes saved could also mean a few extra minutes gained of sleep. As college kids, we hold sleep to a value higher than almost anything else. Being able to get there faster means waking up later – which is always something to be happy about. 

2. A moped is the most fun way to travel

Let’s be real, if you’re not already scooting around, you’ve gotta be dying to get on a moped. Every scoot ride is an adventure that can even be shared with a back seat passenger. When the weather is nice, there are plenty of back roads in and surrounding Durham that provide the perfect scenery for a joy ride. A scoot ride to Wiswall Dam to go bridge jumping is one of my personal favorite summer activities. Not only do you get a great view of the farmland, but the ride home is a great way to dry off. It’s a win-win.

3. A moped is easier/cheaper to park than a car

We all know how UNH parking goes- crazy expensive and insanely limited. Say goodbye to buying a ridiculously priced parking pass and waiting until after 6 o’clock to park for free. For just $25 for the year – yes that’s for the ENTIRE school year – you can use any of the 20 moped-designated parking areas on campus. Not only is the parking cheaper, but it is much more convenient. You can always find a moped parking spot within a few minute walk of any building. And more importantly, there is moped parking near each dining hall. Not only can you park closer to your classes and dining halls, but if you’re a dormie you can park it right outside. Not in A lot, not at the dump. Right outside. Your moped is always there for you, whenever you may need him/her. (See a map of moped parking here: https://www.unh.edu/transportation/sites/www.unh.edu.transportation/files/media/PDFs/Parking/map.pdf

4. There’s a scooter out there for you

Sporty? Fast? Stylish? Pink? Old school?  Yup, there’s a scooter out there for you. If you’re looking for something with some horsepower, you’re going to want a Ruckus. If you’re looking for a girly scoot – there’s any color and style to meet your needs. You want one that looks like a bike? They have those too. I’ve even seen one you actually pedal to move (how??).  Picture yourself on any moped – that image is attainable. Although a high quality scoot may be pricy, the benefits are obvious. In addition, you can always sell it to the next generation of moped riders. Let the scoot tradition live on forever. 

5. You’re a part of the most badass community on campus

With such a large number of moped owners on campus, I like to think that we have an unspoken bond. We all go through a similar experience that walkers and drivers just can’t relate to. I’m not sure that anyone else would understand how easy it is the leave the keys in the ignition without discovery this until 4 hours later upon leaving the lib. In fact, there is even one of our own pushing for a UNH moped club. Although it has been denied several times because of liability concerns, he has continued to pursue this cause.* I think that all UNH moped owners would stand behind him. After all, we take pride in our vehicles and sharing that passion with others could create a sense of brother/sisterhood between us. SCOOT GANG OR DIE

*(For more on the moped club, read Cierra Dubinky’s article in The New Hampshire)