5 Reasons Why Transferring to UNH Was the Best Decision I’ve Ever Made

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I’m not going to lie and say that my first semester of college was all sunshine and rainbows – in fact, it was far from it. See, I started my college career at a small, private university that was isolated from the small town that housed it. My first few months were okay, but around mid-October everything started going downhill. I had no friends, no social life, and no clue what I wanted to do with my life. All major contributing factors in my decision to transfer. The whole process was a whirlwind, it only took about a week but it was all very last minute and every second felt like a sprint. I just wanted to get out. I was absolutely ecstatic when I got the letter saying that I’d been accepted to UNH, and I’ve been happy since. I just wanted to share a few of the MANY reasons that transferring to UNH was the best decision I’ve ever made.

1. The Campus

I don’t think anyone can argue that the campus is absolutely gorgeous! Not to mention how convenient and cute the downtown area is with so many great shops and restaurants. Everywhere I go, I see something I never noticed before and find new places to explore. There is somewhere for everyone here. I have spent afternoons walking around campus and taking everything in because there is just so much to see and so many places to go.

2. The people 

Everyone has been so nice to me since I got here, and I didn’t get that where I was before. All of my floormates in my dorm were super welcoming and nice to me, and everyone I’ve talked to has been really enthusiastic about meeting me and making sure that I’m having a smooth transition. Even the campus staff are incredible. I know there are some exceptions to this, there always are, but I felt more welcome in my first week than I did my entire first semester. 

3. There’s a Dunkin on Campus

While even I will admit that this is silly, we have a Dunkin on campus! I’m sorry, but I just can’t stop myself from being a little basic just this once. When it comes to Dunkin and Starbucks, I’m about as basic as they come. I LOVE coffee. Coffee is like oxygen for me. Having a Dunkin right on campus makes it that much easier for me to feed my coffee addiction. Also, sometimes a girl just needs a donut… or 2… or 12. Either way, it’s just really convenient and it makes me happy.

4. There are SOOOO many ways to have fun 

One of the things I was really lacking last semester was the ability to get involved, but I definitely don’t have that issue here. I was overwhelmed by the amount of clubs and organizations on this campus, not to mention the countless other events that happen on a regular basis. There were so many things I wanted to do that I didn’t know where to start! It’s so nice to know that I have so many opportunities to meet awesome new people and do fun stuff around campus. I never have to be bored with how much is going on all the time. I don’t necessarily have to go to a campus event or a party to have a good time, I can make my own fun too with my friends around campus!

5. It feels like home

I’ve never felt so comfortable somewhere before coming to UNH. It feels more like a small town than a college campus, and with that small town feel comes an incredible sense of pride and unity in where you’re from. Everyone here is a proud Wildcat, and that is something that feels incredible to be a part of. We aren’t just here to for an education, we’re here for an experience. Whatever you choose to do in your time at college is your own unique adventure but we all share one thing, we are Wildcats! 

Sometimes college can be hard – everyone can relate to that – but, personally, I feel so lucky to be in a place where I have so many opportunities! Even when I’m having a bad day, I remind myself how fortunate I am to be in such an incredible place where I can feel at home. At first, I was absolutely terrified to transfer mid-year, but I couldn’t be happier that I did. Since coming to UNH, I have been happier, more relaxed, and less stressed. Transferring was definitely the best decision I have ever made and I can’t wait to see what adventures the coming years bring!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!