This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

5 HBO Series to Watch

HBO offers a lot of options when it comes to watching TV and movies.  I often find myself browsing the various shows on HBO when I am tired of the selection on Netflix.  It does cost money for an HBO subscription. However, if you do have one, here are some suggested shows that you can watch.

1. Big Little Lies

This popular mini-series stars Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, and Shailene Woodley.  It is based off of Liane Moriarty’s same-titled best-selling book.  These women all lead successful lives with their families in an upper class neighborhood.  It follows these characters through their drama-filled lives that ends up leading to a murder.  I watched these episodes as they came out every week and it ended up being one of my favorite shows that I watched last year.

2. Westworld

For all of the Game of Thrones fans, this series is right up your alley.  It is a fictional series set in the future, in an amusement park that is made to look like the wild west occupied by human-like robots created by the company that runs the amusement park. Customers pay a lot of money to be able to go to this park and do whatever they please, which ends up with a lot of crime and violence targeting these robots.  But events turn complicated when the robots become more advanced and develop human feelings.  

3. Girls

This series follows four girlfriends as they live out their 20’s in New York City as they navigate through friendships, work life, and relationships.  Lena Dunham created and stars in this series.  This series is her way of portraying a complicated period right after college, trying to find a footing in the world.

4. Silicon Valley

This show follows a group of friends who create a program and begin a startup company in Silicon Valley.  This show puts a comedic spin on what it is like to work in Silicon Valley.  

5. Last Week Tonight With John Oliver

For those of you who do not have time to start an entire series, this is a good show to watch.  This is a late-night comedy news program hosted by John Oliver.  He sets himself apart from other comedians due to the depth he goes into on the topics he covers.  He may spend twenty minutes going over one current event, while keeping the conversation light and funny at the same time.  Many of his segments have gone viral and are available to watch on Youtube or Twitter.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!