5 Fun Ways to Stay in Shape this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s starting to get cold out and you know what that means. It’s sweater weather, so we don’t have to work out anymore! Wrong. We still need to keep up our appearance for when it gets warm. No one wants to pack on the weight just to have to work it off before spring break. Here’s a few fun ways to stay active in the cold weather.

[pagebreak]

1. Hiking

Before the snow hits you still have time to go for a hike! You may be thinking that hiking is a summer activity, but there are actually many people that prefer hiking in the winter. Just bundle up and get out there! It’s a great workout and tons of fun. Even when it does snow you can go if you’re up for it!

[pagebreak]

2. Skiing/Snowboarding

I’m sure many of you are from the beautiful New England and have grown up skiing or snowboarding. Even if you have never skied or snowboarded before it’s never too late to learn. Go on a weekend with a bunch of friends, wake up early and enjoy a day on the slopes! You’ll have a blast and won’t feel guilty about getting hot chocolate after.

[pagebreak]

3. Exercise classes

If you schedule an exercise class in your day you’re much less likely to blow it off than if you just schedule gym time. A class is a commitment and they’re fun! The Whit offers a wide variety of classes and if none of those appeal to you then there’s other gyms in the area or even dance studios offer exercise classes. If you look, I’m sure you’ll find something you like.

[pagebreak]

4. Swimming

Swimming is one of the best exercises for you and we have a great pool located in the field house! All you have to do is get a sticker from Campus Recreation to use the pool and you’re set to go whenever it’s open to the public.

Here’s a link to the schedule: http://campusrec.unh.edu/reservations/index.cfm?action=month&locationid=12

[pagebreak]

5. Ice Skating

Ice skating is one of the most popular winter activities. Similar to the pool, we have a rink right on campus that offers public ice almost every day, sometimes twice a day!

Here’s a link to the schedule: http://campusrec.unh.edu/reservations/index.cfm?action=week&date=41479&locationid=14

[pagebreak]

Basically it doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you’re doing something. Staying active is a great way to not only stay in shape but to keep you optimistic and motivated towards everything else you have going on in your everyday life.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!