Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

5 Easy Ways to Give Back this Christmas

Posted Dec 10 2012 - 12:00am

Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. It’s a time where we can look back on everything we’ve been blessed with the past year and be thankful for all of the new friends we’ve made, the mistakes that turned into life lessons, and the family and friends we’ve had to support us through it all. It can be easy to get distracted from the real meaning of Christmas after the stress of finals, the Christmas shopping, and all of the other pressures that come with the holidays.

These things that are stressful to us can seem so miniscule compared to all of the other problems people are faced with, like not being able to afford presents for their children or others who aren’t able to enjoy Christmas at home with their family. It’s important to give back to others on Christmas, and it doesn’t only benefit those in need, but it also is a great feeling knowing that you’ve made an impact on someone’s life! Here are a few ways to give back this Christmas, because after all, isn’t that what the holiday season is all about?!

Donate Clothes

If you’re anything like the average early twenties college girl, you can barely fit your clothes in your closet and are constantly looking for places around the dorm or your house to fit your latest shopping spree items in. You’ll most likely be getting some new clothes for Christmas anyway, so why not donate some of your sweaters or jeans to those who really need them? All you need to do is contact Goodwill near you and they’ll give you more information!

Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen

I remember how truly good it felt to help out at a soup kitchen, where you’re able not to just cook and serve the food, but actually talk to the people you’re helping. It’s definitely instant gratification seeing how happy and thankful a family is for helping them. This is something you can do with friends and family and almost anywhere in your local town, such as a community center or even the YMCA. If you’re schedule is really too busy and you just cannot find the time, even a small donation of food, such as canned vegetables or juice can help!

Donate a Christmas Tree to Support our Troops

Many of you probably know someone personally in the military, and I can’t imagine not being able to spend Christmas at home with my family. Now, you can bring Christmas to them by donating a Christmas tree! It’s so easy, all you have to do is go to one of the tree lots that’s participating all over the country and purchase a tree. They will place it in a FedEx truck that’s already on the lot, so you will literally be able to see your tree waiting to get shipped off to our soldiers! If you can’t go out and donate, you can simply go on the website and give a Trees for Troops online donation! It’s such a nice and thoughtful way to let our troops know we’re always thinking about them!  You can go to www.christmasspiritfoundation.org for more info!

Make Cards for for Hospitalized Kids

This kind act is something that everyone could fit into their busy schedule! So bring out the crayons and markers with friends and in no time at all you have the ability to put a giant smile on a child’s face and really cheer them up around Christmas time. Any hospital would be more than happy to receive these cards, and there’s even an association called “Cards for Hospitalized Kids” that gives you full information about where to send them!

Toys for Tots

This is such an easy way to give back! You can donate a toy at one of the area toy drop locations, host a Toys for Tots event at your home or other venue and collect toys for Toys for Tots, or volunteer at the local warehouse. All it takes is a trip to a Wal-mart to buy a small gift for a little boy or girl! This small gesture could be the one that saves a child from having a toy-less Christmas.

5 Easy Ways to Give Back this Christmas