5 Books That Should Be On Your Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

School can get pretty hectic and everyone thinks there is no time to read a book just for the sake of it;  that there is only reading out of a boring course textbook. Having a pleasure reading book at all times is the most stress relieving thing I have ever done. I leave a little early for class so when I am waiting to go in I can pull out my book. I have always enjoyed reading. I found it to be a way to get out of the own stresses of my life and enjoy the life of a character in a book for awhile. I just finished What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. I 10/10 recommend that book, it’s a fun, easy read that takes you through the journey of a young mom that hit her head at the gym and doesn’t remember the last 10 years of her life; her children being born, getting a divorce from her husband, and her best friend dying. The story is about her piecing her life back together and realizing how much can change in 10 years. I couldn’t put it down. 

Here are some books that I can’t wait to start reading.

Little Fires Everywhere

This book is everywhere I look, I think it’s a sign that it wants to be read. I have heard a lot of good things about it and I can’t wait to start it.

“In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is meticulously planned – from the layout of the winding roads, to the colours of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules.

Enter Mia Warren – an enigmatic artist and single mother – who arrives in this idyllic bubble with her teenage daughter Pearl, and rents a house from the Richardsons. Soon Mia and Pearl become more than just tenants: all four Richardson children are drawn to the alluring mother-daughter pair. But Mia carries with her a mysterious past, and a disregard for the rules that threatens to upend this carefully ordered community.

When the Richardsons’ friends attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle erupts that dramatically divides the town and puts Mia and Mrs. Richardson on opposing sides. Suspicious of Mia and her motives, Mrs. Richardson becomes determined to uncover the secrets in Mia’s past. But her obsession will come at unexpected and devastating costs to her own family – and Mia’s.

Little Fires Everywhere explores the weight of long-held secrets and the ferocious pull of motherhood-and the danger of believing that planning and following the rules can avert disaster, or heartbreak.” (Goodreads)

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You

I have heard very good things about this author so I thought I would put one of his on my list! Especially this one because it hits close to home, Elsa is very close with her grandmother and so was I when I was young.

“Elsa is seven years old and different. Her grandmother is seventy-seven years old and crazy,      standing-on-the-balcony-firing-paintball-guns-at-men-who-want-to-talk-about-Jesus-crazy. She is also Elsa’s best, and only, friend. At night Elsa takes refuge in her grandmother’s stories, in the Land of Almost-Awake and the Kingdom of Miamas where everybody is different and nobody needs to be normal.

When Elsa’s grandmother dies and leaves behind a series of letters apologizing to people she has wronged, Elsa’s greatest adventure begins. Her grandmother’s letters lead her to an apartment building full of drunks, monsters, attack dogs, and totally ordinary old crones, but also to the truth about fairytales and kingdoms and a grandmother like no other.”(Goodreads)

Truly Madly Guilty

I LOVE this author. Any book of hers I can get my hands on I will read! I read Big Little Lies, that is also a TV series on HBO GO; it is awesome! The next season is coming out in 2019. But I would definitely read the book first. I am hoping these two books are as good as Big Little Lies and What Alice Forgot.

“Six responsible adults. Three cute kids. One small dog. It’s just a normal weekend. What could possibly go wrong? Sam and Clementine have a wonderful, albeit, busy life: they have two little girls, Sam has just started a new dream job, and Clementine, a cellist, is busy preparing for the audition of a lifetime. If there’s anything they can count on, it’s each other.

Clementine and Erika are each other’s oldest friends. A single look between them can convey an entire conversation. But theirs is a complicated relationship, so when Erika mentions a last minute invitation to a barbecue with her neighbors, Tiffany and Vid, Clementine and Sam don’t hesitate. Having Tiffany and Vid’s larger than life personalities there will be a welcome respite.

Two months later, it won’t stop raining, and Clementine and Sam can’t stop asking themselves the question: What if we hadn’t gone?

In Truly Madly Guilty, Liane Moriarty takes on the foundations of our lives: marriage, sex, parenthood, and friendship. She shows how guilt can expose the fault lines in the most seemingly strong relationships, how what we don’t say can be more powerful than what we do, and how sometimes it is the most innocent of moments that can do the greatest harm.” (Goodreads)

The Husband’s Secret

“Imagine that your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secret—something with the potential to destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others as well. Imagine, then, that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much alive. . . .

Cecilia Fitzpatrick has achieved it all—she’s an incredibly successful businesswoman, a pillar of her small community, and a devoted wife and mother. Her life is as orderly and spotless as her home. But that letter is about to change everything, and not just for her: Rachel and Tess barely know Cecilia—or each other—but they too are about to feel the earth-shattering repercussions of her husband’s secret.

Acclaimed author Liane Moriarty has written a gripping, thought-provoking novel about how well it is really possible to know our spouses—and, ultimately, ourselves.” (Goodreads)

The Woman in the Window

Thrillers have always been one of my favorite books to read, and this seems like one that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

“Anna Fox lives alone, a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times–and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, a mother, and their teenage son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night, sees something she shouldn’t,  her world begins to crumble—and its shocking secrets are laid bare.

What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this diabolically gripping thriller, no one—and nothing—is what it seems.” (Goodreads)

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!