4 Great Dates Around UNH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.
  • Picnic by the River:
    Take your guy down to the cute river on Newmarket Road (if you’re heading out of Durham, turn right before the Irving). On a sunny day, it’s the perfect place for a picnic and lying in the grass without a worry in the world! Here are some ideas for what to put in the picnic basket:
    – Two bottles of beverages
    – A cooler full of ice
    – Cut up fruit and pack it in a ziplock bag so it stays fresh
    – Bottle of wine (Only if you and you’re lucky guy are over 21 though!)
    – A loaf of high quality artisan bread
    – Your favorite kind of cheese. My personal favorite is Babybel, but there are tons of great ones. To be sure you both like it; bring a couple of different kinds
    – Prosciutto or another kind of delicious ham and some slices of melon
    – A bag of assorted nuts
    – Dark chocolate for dessert. If you choose the kind that it’s has over 70% cocoa you can eat it with a good conscious. It is scientifically proven that this kind of chocolate has health benefits for both men and women. Just remember, everything in sensible portions

An in addition to the perfect picnic basket, bring a comfy blanket and maybe even a couple of pillows in case you end up staying there into the late hours. And since fall is right around the corner, it might be a good idea to bring a sweater and scarf while you’re at it.

• Walk on the Beach Followed by Seafood Dinner:
    20 minutes drive from UNH and you arrive at Rye Beach! It’s a beautiful place with a great beach and amazing restaurants within walking distance. Get there right before the sunset, and walk along the sandy beaches in this incredibly romantic setting. Then walk over to a restaurant called Petey’s, which serves the best seafood around! (If you go on the weekend, stop by the restaurant to check for available tables first, because it get’s very busy and there might be a wait). I recommend getting the lobster and the lobster bisque! It’s unreal!

• Sport Events:
    If you really want a golden star from your boy; Go to a sport event! Beer, screaming fans, junk food and entertainment in one big package! Being only a car, train or bus- drive away from Boston you have plenty of opportunities to catch some really great games! To list a few; Boston Bruins at TD Garden, Red Soxs at Fenway or Pats at Gillette! Just do a little research and figure out what sports you’re guy is into (shouldn’t be too hard, most of them put sports pretty high up on the priority list). I can assure you, this is one he won’t forget easily!
    If you’re wallet doesn’t allow you to go into Boston and see the pro teams, check out the games right here on campus! Hockey, soccer, football, you name it! All the games here at UNH are so much fun and it’s a guaranteed great night if you do a little tailgating and then watch a good game with tons of other students! Best of all, you get to cheer for YOUR team! GO WILDCATS!

• Get Your Groove On:
    Back to the 70’s style and go to a roller rink! Only 10 minutes away, in Newington, there is a great roller rink! It’s not only going to be a lot of fun, but it will be a great exercise at the same time! And if you want to bring other friends along or do a double date this is a great idea for you!
    Afterwards you can go have a delicious dinner at one of the nearby restaurants! And hint for a tasty treat after dinner; TGI Friday’s Brownie Obsession!

• The Classic:
    Getting take out and watching a movie at home. Some times there is nothing better than spending the night on the couch next to you’re sweetheart, watching a great movie and having really good take out! The easiest is often better, and this date is always a success. I recommend getting sushi from the Chinese/Japanese restaurant on campus, Mei Wei! Their Strawberry Paradise and Flying Dragon are my favorites, but they have a ton to choose from. And as an appetizer, get the Edamame beans! For those of you that haven’t been there before, it’s located next to Domino’s pizza and the grocery store, at the end of the big parking lot.
    On your way back home, stop by store 24 and pick up a rental movie to complete this relaxed, stay at home night with your lucky guy! One of my new favorites is Your Highness! Incredibly funny movie with James Franco and Danny McBride!

Hope these ideas give you some inspirations for your next dates, I know that I had a ton of fun on all of them! If you have some ideas you want to share, please comment below!

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.