21 Life Hacks Every Collegiette Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

1.     Hate spending all that money on shine control makeup? Then try using cornstarch. Cornstarch is actually one of the main ingredients in most shine control powders. I know that might sound strange, but you just have to brush it on over your makeup. I’ve been doing it for years and it works like a charm!

2.     If you have some left over bronzer just mash it up and mix it with some lotion and voilà, you have your very own homemade tanning lotion to keep your skin glowing during the harsh winter.

3.     To quickly dry your nails dip your freshly painted fingers into some ice water for few minutes and the paint should dry.

4.     To make your own lip-gloss all you need is some Vaseline and a small Crystal Light packet (raspberry lemonade is the best!). Mix the two together in a small container and apply to your lips with a Q-tip.

5.     Hate getting those stray mascara marks all over your eyelid? Then hold a plastic spoon (curve out) over your eyelid when applying your mascara.

6.     Limited storage space in dorms makes it hard to keep track of all of your clothes. Try folding your clothes in your drawers vertically so you can save space and easily find what you’re looking for.

7.     Going home for the weekend and don’t have enough space in your duffle bag to bring what you want? Try rolling your clothes in order to save some room.

8.     To get rid of staticky hair just rub a dyer sheet through your lovely locks. Dryer sheets can help to get rid of deodorant stains on shirts too!

9.     Want more room in your closet? Slip a soda can tab over a hanger to create more hanging space.

10. To make your left over food heat up more evenly in a microwave make a hole in the middle of your food.

11. To keep your fingers from turning green, put a couple of coats of clear nail polish on the inside of your rings.

12. Have a few wrinkles in your shirt but you have no iron in site? Then use a hair straightener on a lower heat setting to flatten out those wrinkles.

13. Use shower curtain hangers to hang bags up in your closet.

14.  Pulling an all nighter? To help keep yourself awake do something physically active every 30-60 minutes, like jumping jacks or pushups.

15.  Make your own astringent for getting rid of breakouts and acne scars with a mixture of water, witch hazel, and lemon juice.

16. To preserve battery life in your iOS7 turn off the Background App Refresh. Do this by going to Settings > General >  Background App Refresh > and turn it off.

17. To skip those pesky adds on Pandora, just hit the home button on your iPhone and the add should stop and go straight to the song.

18. Have any left over plastic hangers from your recent shopping trip? They can be used perfectly for hanging up all your fall boots in your closet!

19. Don’t want to break a nail when adding a new key to your lanyard? Then use a stapler remover to open up the ring.

20. If you tend to be late often then set all the clocks in your room at least 5 minutes ahead so you can make it to your destination at a reasonable time.

21. Always forgetting your keys? Put a small Command Hook next to your door and hang your lanyard on it. You’ll never forget your keys again since they will be the last things you see when you leave your room.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!