New Year’s resolutions suck. They do nothing but highlight our flaws and allow us to publically admit the things we’ve been failing at lately. Their only purpose is to serve as a reminder of where we wish we were in life. But who is ever where they want to be in life? Like the guys of Oasis once said, just be here now. Go out tonight and throw caution to the damn wind. Say good-bye to your insecurities and surrender to some binge drinking with your buds. I hate to be the one to drop this bomb on you, but 2013 is not going to be the year you magically pull yourself together. Making a resolution won’t force you into an epiphany about how to live your life, and change only happens when you’re ready and willing to make it happen. That being said, making a resolution is a tradition, and if you still need something to update your Facebook status with before the new year, the following are pretty worthy causes, and things I think we could all work on in 2013.
1. Start telling the truth. There aren’t enough honest people out there.
2. Spend less money than you earn each month. Debt isn’t in this year.
3. Practice saying “no” more. Taking control of your own life will feel good.
4. Take more risks. Cancel your Netflix subscription and start trying things that make you a little nervous.
5. Volunteer. You might be surprised at what you can learn about yourself when you start doing things for someone else.
6. If you like the person you’re hooking up with, let them know. If you don’t, do the same, and stop.
7. Wear clothes that fit, and get rid of the ones that don’t. A fresh outfit and a clutter-free closet can do good things.
8. Turn off the Kardashian’s and pick up a book. Eat a little brain food this year.
9. Delete that asshole’s number. Start protecting yourself against the people who don’t value you as much as they should.
10. Forget your bedtime. Don’t turn down a night of potential fun because you want to sleep. Sleep can’t make you smile or give you a story to tell your grandkids.
11. Stop caring about what other people think.
12. Enjoy being a little ridiculous every now and then. Living life with the volume on low just because that’s what we’re told to do isn’t much fun.
13. Before you tweet or update your Facebook status, think long and hard about how crucial the information is to your friends and followers.
14. Stop complaining. Take a deep breath and realize that in the grand scheme of things, whatever you’re bitching about doesn’t really matter much.
15. Make more phone calls. Hearing someone’s voice speak words instead of reading them off a screen will do good things for your eyes and your mind.
16. Start preparing now for the fact that Facebook is going to change, your iPhone is going to get slower, and Twitter is going to crash a few times this year.
17. Eat more vegetables and get a little sweaty. That juice cleanse will be miserable and you’ll gain all the weight back anyways.
18. Practice drinking moderately. Blacking out is unattractive and looked down upon in the real world.
19. Spend more time with the people you love. They won’t be here forever, and neither will you. Use your time wisely in 2013.
20. Sack up and do that thing you’re not doing but have always wanted to, whatever it may be.