17 Practical Resolutions for 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With New Year’s Eve right around the corner, many of us are scrambling to come up with a rough draft of resolutions that will probably only last a month or so. Giving up on resolutions always seems inevitable, unless you have an immense amount of self-control, which I sure as hell don’t. The truth is we set unrealistic expectations for the year to come in hopes we’ll be able to erase the mistakes we made during the year prior. Now, if you had a 2016 like myself, the list of resolutions will be never-ending. Rather than starting 2017 setting yourself up for failure, try beginning the year making little, realistic changes in your daily life! Here are some tips and suggestions for the kinds of resolutions you can keep in the back of your mind when heading into the new year…

1.) If one of your resolutions is cutting something entirely out of your life, replace the banishing of that vice and replace it with, “eat less of…” or “do less of…” It’s easier to limit something you’re trying to get rid of, rather than quitting it completely and suddenly.

2.) Delete your ex’s number. Okay fine, New Year’s Eve send them one last text you’ll regret in the morning, but come January 1st, delete it. You’ll thank me later.

3.) Read a book. One book. Because this one book could lead to more books! And your mind will no longer be consumed by what happens in the season finale of *insert favorite show to bingewatch here*.

4.) On that subject…stop binge-watching shows! I know this seems absolutely unrealistic but think about all the other things you could be doing instead of watching 3 hours worth of Netflix. Go for a walk, clean your room, hang out with your friends…the alternatives are endless.

5.) If you’re lucky enough to still have grandparents around, call them more! Seriously, if you called your gma as much as you texted your mom she would be thrilled. You’ll never regret calling your grandparent too much.

6.) Start assignments early on. I’m not saying stop procrastinating, you can begin a ten-page paper that’s due Friday on Monday, and leave 9 pages on Thursday night. But odds are the earlier you start it, the less stress you’ll have the night before it’s due.

7.) Cut back on coffee *cringes*. You’ll feel lighter and so will your wallet.

8.) Make your bed every morning. I know, I sound like your mom. But taking the time to complete this simple task will make it seem like you have at least one thing in your life in order when going about your day.

9.) Write a list of goals to accomplish before you graduate. These aren’t things that can happen in a year so it takes off the stress of a New Year’s Resolution. But writing down a “To-Do” list will keep you motivated to work towards those goals.

10.) Write in a journal. Whether you’re feeling angry, ecstatic, utterly devastated, and especially heartbroken, journaling helps release the overwhelming feeling of all these these emotions.

11.) Let go. Of anything that held you back in 2016. Whether it be a grudge, a toxic friendship, a bad grade. Just let go of it.

12.) Be grateful. There are people would kill for your bad days.

13.)  Start watching the news. Seriously, it’s important you know what’s happening in your world!

14.) If you haven’t already, find something your passionate about and run with it. 

15.) Don’t wait for the cute kid in your science class to make the move, because lets be honest its 2017, he isn’t going to! If rejection is the worst case scenario, your odds are pretty good! 

16.) Put. The. Phone. Down. At least while you’re eating, studying, or in the presence of special people in your life! 

17.) Watch more sunsets. Make it a thing. There’s no better way to be present than to show up to watch a sun set. 

May 2017 be far better than 2016 was. Happy New Year’s, and best of luck on wherever your resolutions take you!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!