15 Struggles of The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, Christmas is one of the best holidays. There are so many great things about Christmas time: lights, presents, spending time with family and friends, Christmas music 24/7, and of course you can’t forget ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas.  However I think everyone can agree that the holiday season comes with just a few struggles of its own.  Here are 15 struggles of the holidays:

1) Secret Santa: how hard could buying a gift for one person be right? Secret Santa isn’t always executed according to plan.

2) Present wrapping: Nothing more frustrating than buying twenty different rolls of Christmas wrapping paper and having your presents end up resembling something you just pulled out of the garbage.  Here’s hoping that if I just add a couple more bows they won’t notice the duct tape barely holding it together.

3) Christmas DIYs: This looks nothing like the pictures on Pinterest..

4) Family Christmas parties: schools good, I have no idea what I’m doing with the rest of my life, yes I’m still single, no I really don’t want to be set up with anyone right now thanks.

5) Gift giving: Nothing quite like the stress of thinking of decent gift ideas for everyone you know and trying not to forget anybody.

6) Gift receiving: socks and pens for school, just what I wanted.

7) Mistletoe: Sure the idea of kissing underneath mistletoe is cute and all but please don’t be that person that walks around flailing the little cluster of leaves and berries around demanding a kiss.

8) Caroling: This one doesn’t even need an explanation.

9) Work holiday parties: with the exception of the couple of coworkers you actually enjoy spending time with, work parties can be an awkward event where at least a few of your coworkers get a little too rowdy.

10) Ugly Sweater Parties: There’s a lot of pressure when it comes to buying the ugliest of ugly sweaters for holiday parties.

11) Christmas Eve: The longest night of your life.  If you can even sleep the night before Christmas you’re probably not human.

12) Christmas morning: It’s 4am why is no one else awake right now?! I need to open my presents and I need to open them now.

13) Christmas night: You’ve spent so much time preparing for this highly anticipated day of Christmas that you end up too exhausted to do anything but become one with the couch and tv.

14) Eating: candy canes, chocolate, holiday cookies, good luck with that diet you swore you were going to stick to after Thanksgiving.

15) 25 days: so many holiday related things to do and just not enough time.  

“Christmas is awesome. First of all, you get to spend time with people you love. Secondly, you can get drunk and no one can say anything. Third, you give presents. What’s better than giving presents? And fourth, getting presents. So, four things. Not bad for one day. It’s really the greatest day of all time.” -Michael Scott

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!