15 Signs That You Are Becoming An Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As a kid we could not wait to be older, but when it’s actually happening it can be both exciting and terrifying at the same time. There is no big sign that finally says, “Welcome to Adulthood, You Made It!” The moments of realization are a lot more subtle and come in very different ways. So here are the fifteen moments when you realize you’re becoming an adult…

1. You Start Putting Yourself First

One of the biggest things you realize as you become an adult is realizing that the most important person in your life to please is you. You choosing your happiness and your life over the lives of others is the most exhilarating feeling in the world. Cause let’s face it, you’ve only got one life to live so choose to live your life to the fullest!

2. You Learn How To Cook

No more ramen, microwavable dishes or waiting for your parents to make meals. You can cook for whoever and whatever occasion you want. Whatever mood you’re in, you can make a meal for it. You might not impress Gordon Ramsay with your cooking but we’re sure your tummy will be grateful for your efforts.

3. You. Have. Credit.

Yup. That hit’s you real hard.

4. You Start Being Smart With Your Savings

Ah yes, the pain of realizing the world is expensive and now you actually have to budget your life to fit all your needs and necessities. But as long as you prioritize you’re fine right? We’d like to hope so.

5. You Have Serious Responsibilities

Friends are going on a fun road trip? You won’t be there because you have to chill in the DMV till the next century or work a long shift at your job. So who’s really having more fun?

6. You’ve Become More Decisive

You realize that your time is precious and you need to make sure you use it wisely. So when you start becoming more decisive you are putting your best step forward into becoming your best self.

7. You Realize That You Have Full Control Of Your Life

The realization of how much freedom you have when you are becoming a real life adult is huge. You truly can do whatever you want as long as you are being smart with your choices and don’t get too power crazy you’ll be fine.

8. You Realize The Importance Of Sleep

Remember that time when you used to be upset that you had to go to bed? That changes once you start growing up and you realize that sleep is a blessed present from the Gods and should never be taken for granted. Truly, nothing feels better than a well rested night’s sleep or a refreshing nap (or three).

9. You Do Laundry On A Regular Basis

You never run out of clothes now because you have this impressive skill in your back pocket. How to clean all kinds of stains? No problem. How to separate Whites from Colors? Nailed it. How to find the missing black sock in the wash? Well…..We’ll try.

10. You Get Excited About Having A Night In

Sure going out and getting all dressed up is fun but you can’t walk around pantless in your favorite bathrobe eating a carton of your favorite ice cream, can you?

11. You Cut Toxic People From Your Life

Though Miranda is a little harsh, she’s spot on. As you get older you realize that the people you surround yourself with are ultimately going to affect who you are and how others perceive you. So if they are not actively making you want to be a better person then they need to be cut from your life real quick. You’ll thank yourself for it later.

12. You Start Being More In Touch With Your Emotions

You’ve finally allowed yourself to feel how life and the adversity is affecting you. You understand now that suppressing your emotions will not help your mental health get any better. But food therapy sometimes will.

13. You Accept When You’ve Messed Up

There is no more running away from your problems or blaming others for your actions. You realize that you’re going to make mistakes and that instead of hiding from them, the best option is to face them head on and mend them as efficiently as possible.

14. You Start Loving And Embracing The Things That Makes You Who You Are

As you get older you start to care significantly less about how other people perceive you and more about how you perceive yourself. You start to realize how pretty amazing you are and that it doesn’t matter what others think. As long as you can go to bed happy with yourself then keep rocking what makes you special.

15. You Realize That You Are Still Very Much A Kid And Have A Lot To Learn

Life’s tough, but always remember you’re tougher.

It’s true that becoming an adult hits you in the face real hard with a dose of reality. But it also comes with some really empowering moments that will make you feel unstoppable. So don’t worry about becoming an expert at “adulting” too quickly; life is long and full of adventure! Keep that kid at heart alive in you and don’t worry about getting lost, your people will be there to help you every step of the way!

I like adventures and Adele....But mostly Adele.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!