This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I always wanted a sister. Even though I am the second born, I still wanted to ship my brother back and get a sister in return. It has taken me 22 years to admit that having a brother is not so bad. Truthfully, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

1.) You know how to throw a football. You may not throw it well, and it may not spiral perfectly, but you know the proper handling technique.

2.) You know how to defend yourself, physically and mentally. You don’t let people push you around, and you know that you always have backup if they do.

3.) The support system is better than you can ever imagine. They may pretend to hate the fact that you’re talking about boys who wont text you back. They will even make loud obnoxious noises as you try to analyze the thought processes of men. But they are listening, and they are thinking about it. They are also thinking that this boy is not worth your time—hence the noises that they are making.

4.) They can tell you if you’re outfit looks like the tablecloth from last Thanksgiving or the runner from Christmas. And chances are if they say “Nah, not feeling it”, you look pretty good and they don’t want you to go out looking that good.

5.) They support you in more ways than one. They have your back no matter what, they are not afraid to tell someone off, and they will always pay for your coffee.

6.) You know a thing or two about sports. You don’t claim to know the game, or all the rules. But you ask questions, which irritate the hell out of your brother, and you get answers even if they are ten minutes late, and they are yelled at you in a frustrated voice.

7.) They make you choose the right guy to be with. They never think anyone is good enough for you. They may never even admit that they like the guy you’re with, but you can tell.

8.) There is never a fight over clothes.

9.) You know that the loud girly scream you hear coming from downstairs is because something good happened in a game.

10.) You know that if they are quiet something is on their mind, and you know when they come to you for advice they really trust you.

11.) You don’t have to worry about competition. Sure one of you may be smarter, but you can just chalk that up to birth order.

12.) You know never to invite anyone over on game day, and you know that the big TV is always theirs, so you will just have to make other plans to watch your show.

13.) They will never tell you they miss you or that they need something from you. If you are a good sister you will just know these things.

14.) You know who Felger and Mazz are, sometimes you even listen to them on the radio when you’re brother is not in the car.

15.) You know that when they make fat jokes, you should probably just hit the gym, but not before finishing that Oreo or bowl of ice cream that you would not let anyone else see you eating.

You can still watch chick flicks, tv marathons, and go for drives just to get out of the house. You can still talk about drama with friends, boys and girls who suck, and things or people who are just really irritating you. But the best part of having a brother is knowing that he will drop anything to help you, he will never put himself first, and no matter how much he complains about you, he is your biggest supporter.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!