15 Pieces of Advice & Words of Wisdom from Ladies in Comedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I personally have always found comedic women to be some of my greatest role models. Something about seeing a smart and successful, funny women is just empowering as hell!  So here are 15 quotes to always remember from the ladies who make us laugh…

1. “Life is about balance. The good and the bad. The highs and the lows. The pina and the colada.” -Ellen DeGeneres.  

Ellen’s got a way on a dance floor, AND a way with words! 

2. “I’ve never felt like I needed to change…I’ve always thought, ‘if you want someone different, pick somebody else.'” -Melissa Mccarthy 

Always be yourself, and never apologize! 

3. “I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind leading.” -Amy Poehler 

Strive to be a “bossy woman” too! 

4. “It’s a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy.” -Lucille Ball 

A simple reminder from one of the founding funny ladies. 

5. “Playing coy is silly. Speak your mind. If a man gets turned off, he’s the wrong man.” -Mila Kunis 

Because strong is also sexy! Never play dumb ladies. 

6. “I wanted a perfect ending. Now I’ve learned, the hard way, that some poems don’t rhyme, and some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.” -Gilda Radner  

Find some comfort & excitement in the unknown 

7. “You have to do what you really, really really really want to do, even if it scares the shit out of you.” -Kristen Wiig 

Just a little reminder to never stop taking chances! 

8.  “Have fun at all costs.” -Julia Louis-Dreyfus 

Sweet, simple, and too the point…but still a good reminder!  

9. “I love people who make me laugh I honestly think it’s the thing I like most. To laugh, it cures a multitude of ills it’s probably the most important thing in a person.” -Audrey Hepburn 

Remember to always appreciate people who can make you laugh ’til you cry! 

10.  “I like being a funny lady. I think there’s nothing sexier than a funny lady.” -Maya Rudolph 

Embrace your funny girl! 

11.  “Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched.” -Mindy Kaling 

Because sometimes ya’ just got to suck it up buttercup! 

12.  “It never occurs to me that there are things that I cannot do.” -Whoopi Goldberg 

…And it shouldn’t occur to you! 

13. “When girls are allowed to let go and not be called crazy, or yell without being called angry, then they learn that the world they live in limitless – or at least that the possibilities are.” -Carrie Brownstein 

The sky is a limit as they say.

14. “Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.” – Carol Burnett  

You got the power baby!  

15. “Don’t waste your energy trying to change opinions… Do your thing, and don’t care if they like it.” -Tina Fey 

(My personal favorite saved for last) What more can I say? Do yo thang! 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!