ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Thing$ You Can Buy Around the Holidays When You’re #Bae-Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Everyone knows the holidays are an awful time to be single. Between having to avoid the countless questions from family members about whether or not you’re a lesbian (“No Nana, just because I haven’t had a boyfriend in a year does not mean I’m not into men anymore!”) every holiday commercial seems to center around a happy couple kissing under the Mistletoe or decorating the tree together. It’s enough to drive any girl crazy.

But no fear my fellow single ladies, because while we may not have anyone to snuggle on the couch with while enjoying a cup of hot chocolate and an ABC Family Christmas Special, we do have one thing going for us – no boyfriend means no gift!

Seriously, having a boyfriend around the holidays can be downright exhausting. If you’ve only been dating a few months, there’s pressure to find a gift that’s both casual and meaningful, and the same price as the one he bought for you. There’s nothing worse than showing up with sports tickets when all he got you was a Snuggie let me tell you.

So instead of bemoaning all the reasons being single for the holidays sucks, think about all the thing$ you can spend with the money you’ll save on that dreadful boyfriend gift this year!

Here’s 10 fabulous gifts you can treat yourself (and others) to this holiday:

1. Concert Tickets

Three words: Justin. Bieber. Shirtless. And if that’s not your thing (which I personally find hard to beliebe) Adele, One Direction and a ton of others are also on tour this coming year.

2. An extravagantly expensive New Years Eve dress

Being alone on New Years Eve just means you can be surprised by who you wind up kissing at midnight, which from my experience, can be both a good and a bad thing. But even if you just end up with your girls at a party, nothing boosts confidence more than a hot new dress and a nice pair of heels.

3. Make-Up

Come on, do you really think your boyfriend would willingly walk into Sephora and buy you the perfect primer? Now you have an excuse to go out and splurge – using the money you would have spent on some undeserving boy of course!

4. A Present for your bff / mom / dad / grandparents ect.

The Holidays are a tough time of year money wise, especially for poor college students. Even if you don’t have a boyfriend to buy for, there are still plenty of things you can do to spread holiday cheer. Maybe snag your BFF the shoes she’s been eying at the mall for weeks as a surprise for being such a good bestie, or buy that expensive perfume your moms been wanting for years. Just because you don’t have a boyfriend, doesn’t mean you’re alone this holiday! Take time to appreciate the ones who have never left your side.

5. A Subscription to a Music Service

Nothing cures loneliness better than music, so download Spotify premium the way you’ve always been meaning to, or finally buck up and get Pandora One. After all, music is the ultimate #bae.

6. Online streaming service website subscription

If music isn’t your thing, there’s always a binge watching session of your favorite (new or old) show on Hulu, Amazon or Netflix. Who says you can’t Netflix and Chill alone? Plus, this is the perfect opportunity to stop using your ex’s email and password. 

7. Gym Membership

Especially if you’re going through a break up, it’s important to get out there and get moving. While lying on your couch immersed in a Gossip Girl marathon may seem like the way to go, spending some time working out your agression on the treadmill is what is going to make you feel better in the long run. Plus, Spring Break is right around the corner!!

8. A Vacation

It doesn’t have to be far, maybe just a weekend away with your girls to a casino nearby. Or maybe it can be and you can finally make your last payment on your Spring Break package. Either way, there’s nothing quite like getting out of town for even a few days and having a bit of fun!

9. That Pair of Shoes / Sweater / Dress

You know the one I’m talking about – that special something you’ve been eying at the mall for weeks and haven’t worked up the courage to actually purchase. The holidays are the perfect time to treat yourself and buy yourself a little something to put under the tree.

10. A Nice Dinner

If you’re anything like me food is one of your best friends. Seeing as we’re all on break, it’s the perfect time to hit up some of your old hometown haunts and eat a meal that isn’t Ramen noodles, white rice or Kraft Mac & Cheese. Who says you need a guy for a date? Grab one of your friends and eat a meal that’s drastically unhealthy. You deserve it after all that studying for finals you did.

However you choose to spend the leftover money in your budget, make sure it’s a reward. After all, you’re not suffering through all those holiday parties by yourself for nothing! 

Happy shopping ladies! Enjoy your ho-ho-holidays!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!