As all of us single ladies know, the holiday season sucks. You are being constantly reminded of the fact that you are single. Your grandmother keeps asking you if you are seeing anyone yet, and your answer is still no. There are reminders everywhere you go of how romantic the holidays can be. Instead of watching Love, Actually and eating a gallon of Ben and Jerry’s this holiday season, read these ten reasons why living the single life is absolutely incredible.
1) You get to watch all the cheesy Lifetime holiday movies that you want to, even cry at them, without having to worry about your mascara dripping down your face.
2) You can save money by not having to buy your significant other a Christmas present. Instead of dishing out 80 dollars for Celtics tickets for your boyfriend, you can use that money elsewhere. (Like a New Year’s Eve dress to make yourself look fabulous)
3) You can blast anti-love ballads as loud as you want to, and sing along like you mean it. Can’t be Tamed by Miley Cyrus has a whole new meaning when you actually can’t be tamed.
4) You have all the time you need to think about yourself. There is no more compromising yourself. Do the things you love for yourself and no one else. You can simply and truly be yourself without having to impress anyone. You no longer have to give up a part of yourself to please someone else.
5) You no longer have to worry about “checking in” or justifying what you are doing. You are free to do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whomever you want.
6) You don’t have any parents to impress. You can unwind during the holidays and not worry about if the edible arraignment you got your boyfriend’s parents is a good enough present.
7) You have the opportunity of becoming closer with your friends and your family. They were there to help you get through the break-up; they will be always be there for you. Let your aunt set you up with her dentist’s son. Take all the free time you have now and do something with it.
8) Anything is possible. Remember cute guy #3 at the gym? Or the waiter at Libby’s you always wanted to flirt with but couldn’t because you were tied down? Here is your golden opportunity. Have a casual hook up. Kiss a random person under the mistletoe or on New Year’s Eve.
9) Holidays are a time to celebrate peace and love. Don’t wallow in the fact that your single but take the opportunity to appreciate all the love you already have around you
10) You can love yourself, because you are perfect and no one is around to tell you otherwise. If you weren’t good enough for him, he’s not good enough for you. Allow yourself to be the fabulous person that you are, just don’t drink too much egg nog and text him telling him how you are “so over him.” Be truly happy, and independent.