10 Reasons to be excited about Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Gilmore Girl’s returns to the screen Friday November 25th! This revival is a four part event and will be available on netflix exculsively. Here are 10 reasons to be excited about Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life! 

1. The best mother-daughter duo ever making their return

Lorelai and Rory are arguably the best mother and daughter duo to ever appear on screen. Through all 7 seasons of the original run, we got to see them telling hilarious jokes, cheering each other on and just being the best of friends. We can’t wait to see what a year in the life holds in store for them (more movie nights? Roadtrips?). 

2. Finding out where Rory’s career ended up

Rory always loved books and writing. She was a part of the newspaper throughout her days at Chilton and then later on at Yale. When the series ended in 2007, Rory had graduated from Yale with a journalism degree. She was about to set out on the campaign trail covering the Presidential Election of 2008. It will be interesting to see where Rory’s career is now as the trailer for the netflix series hinted that Rory is still out and about writing stories.

3. Finally hearing the status of Luke and Lorelai

These two were one of the greatest couples in Gilmore Girls history. The ups and downs of their relationship throughout the series were a rollercoaster to say the least. However, in the series finale the two reunited and kissed. But it left all of us wondering what that actually meant, if they were actually back together? Going back to being engaged? A year in the life will give us some much needed answers to these questions about this couple.

4. The fate of Rory’s love story being revealed

Rory had three significant relationships throughout the series with Dean, Jess and Logan. All three of these characters were very different and each of the relationships were unique. The series concluded with Rory single. However, Dean, Jess and Logan were all included in the trailer for the netflix revival. The fans of the show have always been divided on who the best partner is for Rory (#TeamJess?) Maybe this issue will finally be resolved with a year in the life either showing us Rory as single, with one of these three returners or someone completely new.

5. All of our favorite sub characters returning to our screens

The original run of the show was filled with extremely funny and lovable sub characters that made the show even funnier to watch. They included people like Kirk, Miss Patty, Babbette, Michele, Taylor, the list goes on and on. It’s safe to say we can’t wait to see these faces and their wonderfully quirky personalities return to our screens.

6. The return of Emily Gilmore

The mother and the grandmother of the Gilmore Girls was an integral part of the original show. She held her weekly “Friday Night Dinners” where some of the most memorable moments of the show took place. Undoubtedly, more of these moments will be created in Emily Gilmore’s household for the revival. Also, the world has lost a wonderful actor, Ed Herrmann, who played Richard Gilmore. He will be greatly missed in the netflix series but his memory will surely be honored in a year in the life.

7. The coffee obsession  

There were so many little things about this show to appreciate and relate to. One of which, is of course coffee. Both of the gilmore girls expressed a true love for all coffee. It will be awesome to see them back on the screen just grabbing a cup (or a few) at Luke’s Diner. A Year in the life will let us experience of these small Gilmore Girl quirks all over again.

8. Along with this also goes the food

Let’s face it, the Gilmore Girls were food lovers. They were experts on the perfect movie night snacks, the necessary foods to wallow with or what the best choices are off the take out menus.

9. Getting to see Stars Hollow again

We get to see the perfect setting that is Stars Hollow come back to life. This tight knit community was a huge part of what made so many fans fall in love with the show in the first place. Whether the scene was at Luke’s Diner, a town hall meeting, Mrs. Kim’s antiques, Miss Patty’s dance studio, The Dragonfly Inn or anywhere in between, it was sure to bring a lot of laughs. 

10. Finding even more reasons to love this show

A Year in the Life will definitely introduce even more reasons to love Gilmore Girls. It will be exciting to see what’s in store for all of these beloved characters and the plot lines we followed for so long. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!