Writer Wednesday: 5 Steps to Acing your Group Projects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNF chapter.

There comes a time during almost every semester that many college students dread— group assignments. 

Just this past week I was cursed assigned to a group project in one of my classes, and can we just talk about the struggle? Thankfully, my group and I managed to pull our project together, but it wasn’t without trading some harsh words. In this, I learned some key things that will hopefully make group assignments for you all better in the future! 

Start with intros!

The first thing you always want to do is introduce yourself to the members of the group. It can be a little awkward at first, but it’s something that you can’t avoid. Exchange phone numbers and schedules, and set up a time and place to meet for the future. Make sure to show up for the meeting!

Divide and conquer. 

Divide the work evenly within the group and make sure everyone is satisfied with their part. Figuring out where the strengths and weaknesses lie in every member of your group will ensure that everyone will be able to put their best foot forward. Do the best you can, but don’t stress if some people don’t like their jobs. You can’t make everyone happy. 

Check your group mates. 

Make sure to check in with the group periodically and update one another about what’s going on and if everything is getting done. One thing that my group did was set up a blackboard discussion group where we exchanged information and ideas. If someone is slacking on the parts they’re responsible for, (politely) call them out! You’re in this together, so no one gets a free ride. 

Buckle down to finish early. 

Try to have your PowerPoint, paper, or whatever the assignment is done at least two days before you have to turn it in. This gives you time to edit everything as a group, and make sure all the requirements are met. 

COMMUNICATE. 

This is the most important tip that I could give! Everything becomes ten times harder when group members skip out on communication. If you have a question, concern, or just want to check in on your team members, shoot them a text or an email. If someone is trying to get in contact with you, respond. Things flow more smoothly when everyone is on the same page, and that begins and ends with communication. 

Yes, group projects are a pain nine times out of ten. Yes, we’d much rather work with our friends from the class than to be assigned to a group. Still, we know that eventually, group projects will come and be the bane of our semester. But, in the words of Diana Ross, “I Will Survive”— and so will you!

Hello all! My name is Emina, I am a junior at the University of North Florida, double majoring psychology and criminal justice, with aspirations of being a lawyer. Currently I am conducting interviews and writing the Campus Cutie, section of the UNF chapter for hercampus.com.  If anyone has any suggestions about who should be our next campus cutie fell free to email me, at this email address: sehovicemina@yahoo.com!  
My name is Maya Dartiguenave, and I am a senior at the University of North Florida. I'm a communications major, with a focus in public relations. Reading, writing, anything to do with words is what holds my true interest, which is why I'm so happy to be a part of Her Campus! I'm so excited to have started UNF's chapter of Her Campus!While I claim to be a Florida girl for now, my heart belongs to Philadelphia, always. (Go, Eagles!) I hope to move away from Florida after graduation, work my way through grad school, and begin my career in publishing. The future is definitely going to be an adventure, and I can't wait for it!