Meet Hana Ashchi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNF chapter.

If you have ever attended on the monthly Art Walks that are held in Downtown Jax, then you definitely have this week’s Campus Celeb to thank for all the fun you had! We’re super excited to introduce one of the brains behind Downtown Jacksonville’s Wednesday night Art Walk!

Name: Hana Ashchi

Hometown: Winter Haven, FL

Graduating Major: Communication- Public Relations

Current Occupation: Marketing and Events Coordinator/Art Walk Manager for Downtown Vision, Inc.

HC: How did you work your way up to your current position?

HA: I interned during Summer 2014 to earn credit towards my Communication degree. Following my internship, I was asked to stay on as a part-time marketing assistant. After a few months, one of our colleagues pursued a position with another organization so I was brought on full-time to replace her. 

HC: What’s one thing that you love about your job?

HA: I love being able to use my creativity when planning for events such as Art Walk. I also enjoy that each day is different. There are so many opportunities to collaborate with organizations, network and build professional relationships. Downtown Jacksonville has become such a close-knit community where you know who everyone is. 

HC: What is your favorite personality trait that you possess?

HA: I think my sense of humor keeps everything interesting. My colleagues and I never have a dull moment and are always cracking jokes and sharing each other’s ideas.

HC: Why did you choose the major you held when you attended UNF?

HA: I changed my major 5 times before I decided to pursue Communications. I volunteered/worked for the UNF Interfaith Center and I was really able to learn that I enjoyed marketing and planning events. It’s the connections that I built there that helped me figure out my passion and interests. 

HC: What’s one mistake that you have made in your college career that you have learned from?

HA: My biggest mistake that I have learned was not listening to myself when I first started at UNF. I was always listening to other people about what my career goals should be, I never had a chance to really think about what I wanted until my junior year. 

HC: What was one of the most valuable lessons that you learned graduating from UNF? 

HA: My most valuable lesson I learned graduating from UNF was to speak up. You never know what you can accomplish if you don’t say something, take action and listen to your gut. 

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

HA: Determined, creative, full of energy. (We’re totally counting the last one as a single word!) 

HC: What’s one motto that you live by?

HA:“Que sera, sera” or “whatever will be, will be.”

HC: What is one piece of advice that you’d give to your freshman self?

HA: Be active. College is the opportunity to go out and explore. Join clubs, live in the dorms, make new friends and speak up. Don’t sit there while other people take your ideas, dreams and hopes. You’ll regret it later. Plus, if you’re paying that much for school, you might as well take advantage of all the things UNF has to offer. I sure did.  

HC: Who is one role model that you have?

HA: My role model(s) would have to be Tarah Trueblood and Rachael McNeal from the UNF Interfaith Center. They really helped me discover my true self; my goals, passions and they listened to my terrible jokes. I owe them everything. 

My name is Maya Dartiguenave, and I am a senior at the University of North Florida. I'm a communications major, with a focus in public relations. Reading, writing, anything to do with words is what holds my true interest, which is why I'm so happy to be a part of Her Campus! I'm so excited to have started UNF's chapter of Her Campus!While I claim to be a Florida girl for now, my heart belongs to Philadelphia, always. (Go, Eagles!) I hope to move away from Florida after graduation, work my way through grad school, and begin my career in publishing. The future is definitely going to be an adventure, and I can't wait for it!