Why Netflix’s “13 Reasons Why” Is Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

13 Reasons Why, the incredible fiction novel by Jay Asher, is now a Netflix original series! Here’s just a few things we love about it. (Be warned, this article may contain spoilers!)

1. There’s a diverse and incredibly talented cast.

The cast of 13 Reasons Why, as well as the characters they play, come from all walks of life. Almost every minority group has fair representation within the show. Not to mention, each and every cast member is extraordinarily talented, especially Dylan Minnette and Katherine Langford who play Clay and Hannah. Their emotions are raw and believable and have viewers on the verge of tears during every other episode. The best part about the cast, however, is that most of them are new to the spotlight. We hope to see more of them in the future!

[Photo courtesy of MTV UK]

2. Speaking of the characters, Clay is actually the cutest.

If you’ve already watched the show, you know that Dylan’s character, Clay, is the purest, most wholesome soul. He must be protected at all costs.

[Photo courtesy of tweet247.com]

3. The plot deals with painfully real and important issues.

13 Reasons Why does an incredible job of addressing the tough issues that are prevalent in a young adult culture like peer pressure, drug use/abuse, rape, and of course, suicide. Bringing these issues to light both in literature and now a popular Netflix series will be sure to start necessary and important conversations.  

[Photo courtesy of Technician Online]

4. Selena Gomez served as one of the co-producers.

Yes! At the end of January, Selena announced her participation in the series with a 13 Reasons Why Instagram post captioned, A peek at a passion project I’ve been working on with @Netflix.” Knowing that Selena was involved in creating the adaption makes it that much better. One episode also features Selena’s cover of “Only You“, an 80’s ballad that perfectly describes Hannah’s emotions towards the end of her life.    

[Photo courtesy of M-Magazine]

5. Depictions of high school life are fairly accurate.

Although not everything the characters do is relatable, any past or present teenager can resonate with the characters’ lives on some level. The obstacles a few of the characters face, like abusive homes or being “the new girl” are things that do happen and are often difficult to deal with. High school is never as perfect or as simple as some teeny-bopper shows make it seem, so we appreciate 13 Reasons Why for showing us how horrible high school can be.    

[Photo courtesy of IMBD]

6. There’s potential for a second season.

We won’t say too much about how the first season ends, but episode thirteen finished with too many unanswered questions. Rumors of a second season, one where Selena makes a guest appearance, definitely makes sense. Let’s hope the wait isn’t too long!

[Photo courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter]

Lindsay is a senior at UNCW studying Criminology and Sociology. When she's not contemplating the deeply rooted inequalities of the criminal justice system, she is either working out at the Rec Center or sitting in Starbucks with a coffee or tea in hand.