Ways to Create a Successful Final Exam Study Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Finals are just around the corner and the semester is soon to be over. Christmas is in full gear for most of the name-brand stores, indicating to college students that final exam season is among us. If you’re like me with a full schedule and lots of assignments building onto each other right before finals, it might be a good idea to create that perfect final exam study schedule to help guide you through the last couple weeks of studying.

1. Review your syllabus.

In order to create a perfect schedule, reviewing all of your courses syllabi will help tremendously when finding out when each exam is as well as potentially spotting those few tips and tricks professors may have included about the exam. Looking up the last couple of due dates can also save you the hassle of worrying about them in the future, and can save more time for studying for your exams.   

2. Create a study outline.

Creating some sort of outline or even downloading a study schedule from the internet can work in helping find time to block off in order to study. Using old exams as a study tool or even old study guides you’ve made for past exams can help review material for that class’ exam. Making sure that your study schedule is well-balanced with fun and work is also important- you don’t want to be cramming each day when you could just study for a couple hours a day and spread out the workload. 

3. Keep your study schedule through the holidays.

Just like anything else, you should stay with what you set yourself to, and this applies to your study schedule through the holiday times. Staying focused and on top of your study schedule can help prevent last minute cramming for an exam you were set to review material for days ago. I would recommend that when creating a study schedule, allow less time for studying over the holidays and more on the other days after, just so you can enjoy being with family and relax. However, if this would make you feel unmotivated, try studying a little over break so you don’t break your habit of reviewing material everyday. 

4. Reward yourself.

Leave days in your schedule where you can relax and pamper yourself for your hard work. Block off days where you can go watch a movie with your best friend or shop with all of your girlfriends to take your mind off all of the exams coming up. Stressing yourself is never worth the trouble, especially if you have been sticking to your study schedule.

You are going to do great on your exams, especially with a study schedule to organize your time.

-Tally

[Photos courtesy of www.pinterest.com]

Natalia Pavel is currently Senior at UNCW studying communication and digital art, hoping to pursue a career in marketing or graphic design. Her passions include graphic design and writing. She's always starting new projects, and gets inspiration from the beach where she resides during the school year. You will most likely find her with her computer working on Adobe InDesign at a local coffee shop.