UNC Wins National Championship: Favorite Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Even though Wilmington is home to the seahawks, our sister school UNC just won the 2017 National Championship for basketball! After a heartbreaking loss last year, UNC got redemption this year against Washington’s Gonzaga. Here are the best moments from last nights win:

1. Coach Roy Williams 

This is Roy’s third national championship since he started coaching in 2003, Roy is one of six college basketball coaches to have won at least three championship titles. 

(Also, let’s not forget Roy’s signature dance from last year) 

2. Justin Jackson

Photo Courtesy of sportingnews.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdfqc-8qRes  

Watch Justin towards the end with the slam dunk to finish the game off! Gonzaga and UNC were neck and neck throughout the second half.   

3. Joel Berry II 

Photo Courtesy of Marca.com 

After the game, Berry was named MVP of the NCAA tournament. Berry had two bad ankles during the championship game and still pulled through, he also scroed 22 points for the team. 

4. Students take over Franklin street after the win

Photo Courtesy of WNCN.com 

Jumping over a giant bonfire is a tradition with the tar heels, don’t try this at home kids. 

5. Chapel Hill welcomes the team home:

While I was writing this, my mother called me to brag that her and my sister were at the Dean Dome to welcome the players home since we live right outside of Chapel Hill. Was I jealous? you bet. 

UNC, The University of National Champions, has done it again. 

Cover Photo Courtesy of cbssports.com

Most likely at Target and/or drinking sweet tea. Senior from Apex, North Carolina. Co-Campus Correspondent for the UNCW chapter, Contact me with any comments or questions!