etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things to Do If You’re Spending Spring Break on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Unless you’re going on an extravagant trip over the spring break holiday, it is likely that your frugal college-student budget will still be in effect. Here are a few fun, cost-efficient ideas to explore over spring break.

1. Spend an evening catching up with a friend over coffee/brunch.

Hopefully your friends attending other schools have a break that lines up with yours. If so, take the time to reach out to them and meet up face-to-face for much needed quality time. Outings with friends do not have to be expensive in order to be fun. Sometimes, coffee and conversation is all you need.

2. Take a day to finally clean up the photos on your phone/laptop.

Spring break is typically accompanied by a lot of free-time college students don’t normally have. You could spend some of that time finally going through the thousands of photos on your computer and/or phone. Through the process, you’ll likely stumble upon funny memories long forgotten. Your friends will get a kick out of the hidden gems you find deep in your photo archives.

3. Do a deep clean of your room and/or house.

This may not be the most exciting thing to do over break, but for many, there is no better time to clean! Do yourself a favor and wash your sheets, too!

4. Read a new book, or read an old book that you’ve been meaning to re-read.

See what books are trending this year and pick out one that looks interesting to you. In the whirlwind of class reading assignments and textbook analyses, it can be easy to forget what it’s like to read for pleasure.

5. Bake something from scratch.

Search the web for very basic cookie/cake recipes and scour your kitchen for the simple ingredients list. Baking is incredibly therapeutic and can be made more enjoyable with a group of friends.

6. Get organized for the last half of the spring semester.

If you leave for break feeling incredibly overwhelmed by the last few months of school, take some time to write out any upcoming due dates/assignments in order to feel more prepared upon return. (Side note: remember to take a breather. This is a break from university life and should be spent as such!)

7. Explore an area of your town in more depth.

Places that have a downtown area are perhaps best suited for this idea, but any unexplored area near you will do. Get to know the place in which you live!

8. Go for a walk or a run outside.

Not only does this idea get you outside and moving, it allows you to absorb your surroundings and appreciate nature more. Spring break marks the beginnings of nice weather, so take advantage of it in any way you can.

9. Find a new show to binge-watch on Netflix.

This is your chance to watch that show everyone keeps telling you to check out. For a real challenge, try to watch the whole series in the week you have off.

10. Have a game night with your family/friends.

If you’re spending spring break around your family, spend as much quality time with them as possible. Implementing a game night is one way to do this. Break out the classic “Apples to Apples” and “Monopoly” and get some healthy competition started.

Whatever you end up doing over break, remember that it is your time to decompress and relax! Enjoy your time away from school and make the most of every moment.

[Photos courtesy of Pinterest.com]

Lindsay is a senior at UNCW studying Criminology and Sociology. When she's not contemplating the deeply rooted inequalities of the criminal justice system, she is either working out at the Rec Center or sitting in Starbucks with a coffee or tea in hand.