The Struggles of Being Plus-Sized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

The plus-size life is a fabulous one, but sometimes it can be incredibly frustrating. Here’s why: 

1. Wearing leggings 24/7

Solid colored leggings and yoga pants are the most loyal of all bottom options for bigger gals. It’s usually hard to find jeans that fit our bottom-halves just right, so opting for the stretchy, more forgiving choice is a must. It can be kind of a pain, but on the bright side, leggings go with everything! 

2. Chafing

Being plus-sized usually means our thighs are really close friends, thus creating a lot of unnecessary friction (aka chafing). The leggings mentioned above tend to suffer the most. There’s always a moment of terror when we realize there’s a gaping hole in the inseam of our pants. Oops.

Photo courtesy of Elite Daily.

3. Shopping with skinny friends

Going to the mall with friends who don’t understand the plus-size struggle is so difficult. There are only a few retailers that offer plus-size options and it’s unlikely that skinny friends want to look in those places. Have fun in H&M, guys. I’ll be looking at the jewelry up front if you need me.

Photo courtesy of The Odyssey Online.

4. “Plus Size” clothing

Speaking of clothes shopping, not only is it difficult to find places that carry plus-size clothes but when we do, the options are sincerely upsetting. A lot of clothing manufacturers fail to take into account the fact that yes, there are plus sized teenagers and young adults. It’s not just older women who need bigger clothes! The bizarre patterns and awkward, flowy cuts say otherwise.

P.S.: Plus-size ladies, check out Forever 21+ and Charlotte Russe for cute, inexpensive plus-size options!

Photo courtesy of JC Penney.

5. Shorts are absolutely not happening 

Everything about shorts is just a pain when you’re in the plus-size category. They constantly ride up and are always more trouble than they’re worth. Refer back to #1!

No matter the struggle, being plus-sized is nothing to be ashamed of. Love your thick thighs and embrace all your curves!

Lindsay is a senior at UNCW studying Criminology and Sociology. When she's not contemplating the deeply rooted inequalities of the criminal justice system, she is either working out at the Rec Center or sitting in Starbucks with a coffee or tea in hand.