Mckenzie Bass, Film Industry Extra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Mckenzie Bass

Hometown: Dunn, NC

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Communication Studies with a minor in Sociology

Mckenzie’s love for film got her involved in the Wilmington movie industry, but her dedication and hard work is what has kept her coming back for more. Although she is no longer interested in becoming a film major, Mckenzie continues to audition for movies and television shows filmed in the area. She says acting is one of the best things she has gotten the chance to do in college and she can’t wait to see where her acting career takes her in the future.

HC: What casting companies have you worked with?

I’ve worked with Ashli Bogart Extras Casting, Marty Siu Casting, NCasting and Kimmie Stuart Casting. These are local casting agencies that are chosen by the production companies to cast background extras, stand-ins and photo doubles. I have worked as both a background extra and a stand-in.

HC: How did you hear about becoming an extra?

After considering majoring in Film Studies, someone suggested that I work as a background extra on a set to get a feel for the film industry. Last summer, I was in desperate need of a job, so after reading a news article about a new Nicholas Sparks movie called “The Longest Ride” filming in the area, I sent in my headshots and information for the role. I was then selected out of hundreds of other submissions to play a sorority girl. I fell in love with working on the set and have been working regularly as an extra and stand-in ever since.

HC:  What films have you participated in so far?

I have worked mainly on TV productions, such as Under The Dome (CBS), Sleepy Hollow (FOX) and Secrets & Lies (ABC- premiering early in 2015). I also worked on the upcoming Nicholas Sparks film “The Longest Ride” and another Sparks film called “The Choice.” Soon, I plan on working on another film called “Blue Mountain State,” which will film in the area until mid-December.

HC:  What was your favorite film to be a part of?

My favorite film to work on was Nicholas Sparks’ “The Longest Ride,” starring Scott Eastwood, Britt Robertson and Alan Alda. Reading the book and then going to the set was incredible because they made it look exactly how I envisioned it would look. This was also the first movie I had done; it was exciting and nerve-wracking in the beginning. My first day on set, they put the camera right in my face and just yelled “ACTION!” I did the best I could and just hoped that I didn’t mess up any shots. The entire cast and crew were very welcoming and made me feel right at home in no time.  This movie also marked the first time I was a stand-in (which I didn’t even know what that meant until after I had done it). They needed someone last minute that had similar features to one of the actresses and luckily I was a good match. They called me to the set, didn’t tell me what I was doing, they just told me I would be “standing in” for one of the actresses. I just went along with it like I knew what I was doing (but really I had no clue). Later on someone told me that a stand-in was someone who looks like the main actor and stands on the actor’s marks so the camera and lighting people can make proper adjustments while the main actor is off getting ready in wardrobe. While stand-ins don’t get screen time, they get paid more, which was good enough for me.

HC:  How hard is it to balance being a full time student and your job as an extra?

It has been quite a challenge balancing school and working on set. The thing about working with TV or movie productions is that you have to be available whenever they need you, which could mean working anywhere from 8-17 hours a day. There have been times where I’ve had to skip classes in order to work on set but you gotta do what you gotta do!

HC: What would you recommend to any other student who is interested in becoming an extra in the film industry? 

First, I would recommend following the casting company’s pages on Facebook, because this is where they will post about casting calls. When they post about their casting needs, if you fit the description, you email them your headshots and information. If you are chosen they will email you a confirmation and the details about the filming location. Most casting companies like Marty Siu Casting and Ashli Bogart Casting, require that you create a profile in their extras database. Next, I would recommend having some headshots made. These can either be professionally done or you can do them yourself. They usually don’t require professional headshots for extras and will accept selfies, but having a good headshot could better your chances of landing the job.

HC:  Anything else you want to add about the North Carolina film industry?

It is unfortunate that North Carolina political leaders have recently decided to take away the lucrative film tax incentive that has brought so many incredible productions to film in the area. I highly recommend to anyone in the Wilmington area to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity while you can. Many of the TV and movie productions have decided to film elsewhere when the tax incentives expire at the end of 2014. Being an extra or stand-in will be the most exciting, fun and challenging thing you will ever get to do. Seeing yourself in a hit movie or TV show is the coolest thing you will ever, trust me!