History of Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

As we enter the month of February, there may be one thing on our minds: Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day is the day of the year where we send our hearts, flowers, and love to the ones we care about. But, have you ever considered where the whole idea of Valentine’s Daycame from? Well, if you haven’t, keep reading this article on the history of Valentine’s Day!

Valentine’s Day roots come from the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, which was a fertility celebration commemorated annually on February 15th. However, Pope Gelasius I declared that February 14th was to be St. Valentine’s Day.

So, when did Valentine’s Day become connected with romantic love?

Well, the modern Anglo-American customs connected Valentine’s Day to romance. People started sending custom cards, chocolates, flowers, and other romantic gestures, and in England, they would tell a story about a character called ‘Jack’ Valentine who would knock on the door of houses leaving sweets and presents for children.

Then, in the 19th century, handwritten notes became popular and that lead to mass-produced greeting cards. To make the holiday an even bigger deal, people started to spend even more money on all the things that encompass Valentine’s Day: chocolate, flowers, and other gifts.

How much money is spent on Valentine’s Day?

According to Wikipedia, in the United Kingdom, about half of the population spends around 1.3 billion euros. In the U.S, The U.S. Greeting Card Association estimates that about 190 million Valentines are sent each year, with the average amount spent being $131.

Valentine’s Around the World

As stated before, early modern Englanders developed the Valentine’s Day customs. But different countries around the world have taken their spin on this heart-filled event:

• According to Wikipedia, in some Latin American countries they call call Valentine’s Day “el día de los enamorados.”
  • In the United States, especially recently, Valentine’s Day has become commercialized and a popular gift-giving event.
  • In China, Valentine’s Day is called Lovers’ Festival.
  • In India, they have a holiday called Kamadeva in which there is a tradition of adoring.

And so many more countries have taken the basic idea of Valentine’s Day and made it into their own. But in all, Valentine’s Day is not about the hearts and flowers, it is about sending love to those that you care about. 

Photos courtes of mybeverlyhills, huffingtonpost, scienceofrelationships, and wsj.com.

Hello! My name is Stephanie Spencer and I am a sophomore at University of North Carolina Wilmington. I am interested in PR, and one day I want to move to Chicago and work for a company that will allow me to travel the world. I love to read and write and I have too many dreams and aspirations.